They Can't Sleep- Part 3

Ancano: The wind whipped wildly around outside the window, snow dancing hazardously through the air. The lantern dimmed before seemingly flared up at the scowl that crossed across a golden face. Soft and gentle the sound of a page turning filled the air, knowledge being laid bare before the reader. Suddenly the window flung open, biting air rushing into the room. A curse sounded as the flame extinguished and pages wildly spun while Ancano sprang to his feet, hastily shutting and latching the window properly.

"I swear if you say that you told me so, I will demote you apprentice." He huffed, as a light softly grew and an amused chuckle echoed in the air. Quitely you began dusting off the snow from his things. "Can't sleep either I take it." His eyes are soft as he takes the sight of you in. A thick, plush cloak pulled around your frame, the fur that lined the inside tickling your chin.

"I was sleeping just fine, until I had a nightmare." You replied, coming to cling to him. His arms pulling you tightly to him. "And you?"

Ancano fell silent, taking his time while lacing his fingers in your hair. "A nightmare as well." He finally answers, resting his head against yours. "That I became obsessed with the Eye of Magnus. That I couldn't stop myself from spiraling. That I hurt those here, that I hurt you."

"Ancano-"

"I hurt you Y/N, and the worst part was that I......I didn't care." His arms tightening around you. "I was a monster. I wished I could rip the dream out of my head and tear it apart."

The harsh look that had come across his face, began to fade away as you reached up cupping his cheeks. Your thumbs gently rubbing soothingly against his skin. "You didn't Ancano. I am here; safe, protected. You didn't lose control, the Eye is gone." Feet rock onto tiptoes as rose lips press soft kisses to his lips and nose. "I am here, love. Here safe and well because of you."

"I know, I know." He briefly let himself snuggle into you. "I love you, so very much."

"I love you too." Softly, you move and lace your fingers with his, pulling him with you. Lowly a gentle tune filled the air, soothing his soul as you guided him back to bed. Once there you discarded the heavy cloak, pulling his off as well.

"I can do that myself." He tries to snark, but it's very half-hearted, weariness ebbing away at him.

The humming never stops as you tuck him into bed, slipping right up next to him. Taking his hand, you lay it over your heart, letting him feel the beat. Ancano let himself relax as the steady thump thump thump of your heart eased his fears. I'm here it seemed to say, I'm here.

"I love you Y/N." He finally whispers, pulling you closer to him not caring about cuddling you while you are still awake.

"I love you too Ancano." The words sleepily murmured. With this he closes his eye, his body relaxing fully as sleep comes to him. In the very early morning he wakes again, the nightmare flashing through his mind. But this time it doesn't cause him to rise, one hand slips into your hair, the other back above your heart.

"I did not do those things." He whispers to the air. "I will not do those things, because I have something far greater. I have her." A soft breeze whispers past the window, he falls back asleep. The nightmare is no more.

Ulfric: The tankard rasped against the table as it was set down, the person who held it rubbed tiredly at their face. The fire dancing before him did little to soothe, casting shadows around the room without care. He could hear the muffled footsteps of the soldiers while they patrolled the hallways, the occasional conversation among them. Though the words he didn't care to distinguish enough to know what they were. The tankard came back to his lips, he took a long draught hoping that the liquid inside would make a difference; though so far it hadn't. An annoyed sigh left him, and he once again buried his face into his scarred hand. "Ulfric?" The words as gentle as the hands that come to rest on his shoulders. "Why aren't you in bed?"

He feels himself calm, his body relaxing under your touch as you rub small circles on his skin. "I couldn't sleep my love." Ulfric admits, his hand coming to rest over your own. "Just old memories that won't stay buried."

Rose lips come and press soft kisses against the side of his face. Ulfric turns to press his own against your lips, the kisses are almost needy. His hands tug at you, firm and resolute as they pull you into his lap. Softly you break apart, foreheads coming to rest against each other. "Care for a walk then my High King? Perhaps it could help?"

Ulfric thought for a moment, letting his thumb glide over your thighs. "Perhaps it could. Lead on my High Queen and I shall follow." You slid off his lap, brushing the wrinkles from your gown as he stood up. He offered his arm, which you took gracefully as you lead him through the halls. "So tell me, why are you not asleep?"

Had he not been looking at you, he would have missed the brief look of panic across your face before it was replaced with a blank look. "No reason my bear." You deflect, looking up at him coyly. "Perhaps it was that I was too cold without you by my side."

"And if I don't believe that?" He asks, the skeptical tone blanketing his words.

With a sigh you let the mask drop, "Helgen." The word came out shaky, as tears began to burn in your eyes, throat closing as if the ashes were choking you.

Ulfric quickly whisked you into his arms, holding you tightly as you composed yourself. "Easy, we're safe. That's behind us." He soothed, brushing a lock of hair behind your ear. "Nothing like that shall happen again, I swear it."

Craning your head up, you seek his lips, the kiss dizzying and comforting. "I know, I know." Words are muffled as you rest your head in the crook of his neck. "Will you hold me?"

"Of course. Let's go to bed." Ulfric guided you quietly to your room. He quickly changed out of his robes into his sleeping clothes, a soft smile spreading on his lips as he saw you settle snuggly into the fur blankets. The bed dipped under him as he settled beside you, arms pulling you against him. "I love you."

"I love you too." Rose lips murmured as you breathed in his comforting scent. Together you both grew drowsy, occasional murmurs of affection drifted in the air. Here safe in each other's embrace you both fell to slumber.

Does anyone still read this? If so, sorry for the lack of updates. It's been hard to write. But here's this. Thank you for reading so much! Here's to me doing better (hopefully)!