You Can't Sleep Part 1

Jarl Balgruuf: It was peaceful out here, the hold sleeping away in the predawn hours. It did little to help the stinging in your heart though, but it was better than laying awake in bed. The scene echoing inside your head.

"You think you're our mother but you're not! You can't just walk in here and try to replace her! You're not my mother and you never will be!" Frothar screamed out, before dashing off. Balgruuf takes a few steps after him, calling to him, before turning to you.

"Go after him." You say, fighting the painful tightness in your chest. "He needs you the most right now." He dashes off, calling after his oldest, leaving you to pull yourself together for the youngest two. "Would you two like to come read with me in the library?"

Two soft voices reply "Yes mama." A small hand grabbing your right, another small hand grabbing your left. They don't say anything when you squeeze them a little tighter than normal, you do your best not to cry more as those little hands squeeze back just as much.

The soft tickle of the fur brushing the sides of your face and neck jolted you back to the present. "You should be careful my love to not catch a cold." He says soft and tender, his hand brushing a small lock out of your face. The bench creaked lowly as his weight settled beside you, his warmth leeching into your skin as he tucked you against him. You bury your face in the crook of his neck, trying to hide the tears that once again flowed freely. Balgruuf's heart ached, demanding he do more to soothe you, but he knew that he couldn't, and that made it worse.

"I don't want to replace her, you know."

"I know." Balgruuf reassures. "And he knows that, but it will take some time before he fully accepts that. He's already asked me if I think you'll forgive him."

You sit up, pulling away enough to look him in the face. "Of course I'll forgive Frothar." Balgruuf's eyes soften even more as they gaze at you, crinkles form at their edges as you continue. "I love him so much, I love all of them so much."

"They love you too. As do I." He assures, letting silence settle over you both. The sky slowly begins to lighten as two bodies huddle close together sharing their warmth and easing each other's souls. Eventually Balgruuf rises, pulling you up with him. Tenderly his lips meet rose colored lips, love pouring itself into the kiss. "Come, we might still get a few hours of sleep yet."

Your fingers intertwine with his, letting him pull you along back to bed. Settling against him you sigh before a knock at the door grabs your attention. Balgruuf goes to answer it, the shuffle of feet tell you all you need to know. Frothar hesitantly stands in the bedroom doorway. He opens his mouth to speak but stops as you open your arms to him, tears fall from his eyes as he climbs into the bed and hugs you. "I love you." You murmur, resting your cheek against his head. "I love you."

"I love you too." Frothar replies, "I'm sorry. I really am. You're a good mama."

Tears slip from your eyes as you manage to speak "Thank you. It means a lot to hear that. I forgive you, and I want you to know that I never intend to replace your mother. I just want to be another mother for you. 

"I know." He says, squeezing tight. Balgruuf joins you both on the bed, pulling the covers up over all of you. His arm coming over to hold you both, slowly the hold on you relaxed, Frothar drifting to sleep in your arms. Balgruuf presses a kiss to your forehead, a content hum escaping your lips as you both fall asleep, your little world back in place.

Savos: Snow drifted lazily by the window, the weight of the book in your lap the only thing keeping you tethered to this world though it was beginning to fade. Stubbornly you shook your head, making yourself focus back on the words. You needed to get this study done, thinking about fixing a cup of coffee for yourself when warmth landed on your shoulders. "My gem, come back to bed." His voice low and rich, like the taste of honey smeared on fresh baked bread. "You can finish in the morning."

Slowly you turn to him, eyes roaming over him. You know him, you trust him, but dang it if you wanted to prove him wrong sometimes. His hands trail down your arms, sure and steady to grasp your hands and intertwine fingers. "No, I'm not tired." Even the words spilling from rose lips were heavy with exhaustion. 

Amusement shown on his face, "Oh? Why don't you tell me what you're reading."

"What? Why?" 

"Because if you're not tired then you should be able to give me a detailed summary of what you were currently reading."

You shoot him a look, "Okay I'm a little tired but I'm so close to a breakthrough. Imagine what this could mean for the illusion school."

"I imagine it would be amazing but I'm sure it would be more amazing with a full night's rest."

"Savos-" You begin, before a yawn caused you to stop. Shaking your head yet again to dispel tiredness you begin again. "Savos I'm not going to bed yet."

"Then at least take a break." Lips curl up slightly at the corners, "Let me rub your back for a moment."

"Tempting."

"I know my gem." Savos responds. At the look on your face he chuckled to himself, the sound as warm as a crackling fire. Setting the tome aside, he pulls you to the bed, making you lie down on your stomach. Skilled fingers begin to work on your back, first light touches then more firm strokes. Your body felt like it was unraveling under his touch, tension releasing from its hiding places in sore muscles. His hands only paused when you slurred out some words, brushing your hair back from your face as he leaned over and kissed you. "I love you too." He murmurs, going back to his work. When your breathing deepens he eases up, slowly stopping once he was satisfied. 

Grey hands pull the covers and furs up around you, tucking you in just the way you liked. "Goodnight my gem." He says before joining you in slumber. And when the sunbeams shine softly on your bed, he pulls your stirring figure against him sleepily kissing you he murmurs "Good morning my gem." His heart warm from the content smile that shines on your face.

Ondolemar: The goblet clinked softly against the table as you sat it down, the rich amber liquid gently sloshing in its place. The fireplace crackled, causing one to notice it was running low. Getting up you add another log on the fire, coaching it back into an acceptable flame. You settle back down, casting another look at the fire as you down more of your drink. "You know drinking this late won't help." His voice comes from behind you as a golden hand reached for the goblet.

"It doesn't hurt to try." You respond, moving the goblet out of his reach. "Besides shouldn't you be in bed. You have an important meeting tomorrow."

"My love is awake so I should be awake as well." Ondolemar said as he came around in front of you. "Care to tell me why that is?" 

"I just can't sleep." Rose lips admit, hands coming to push hair out of your face. "No need to be concerned." 

Ondolemar inspects you for a moment, before going behind you. Warm hands come to rest on your shoulders before expertly digging into the muscles there. Tilting your head down you whimper softly as he works his way up your neck and back down, tension leaving your body. He chuckles lowly at your sound, repeating his actions to hear it again. "Let go Y/N, I am here, relax." Ondolemar commands, his works deep and velvety to your ears.

"But I'm not tired." You try to protest, but it did seem like a good idea. He chuckled, slowing his hands, "Why are you stopping?!" You asked when you noticed.

"Well if its not helping then perhaps I should stop and go back to bed. There is no point in doing something if it has no effect." He says as he takes a step back, like he was going to walk away.

You turn, your hand coming to cling to his. "Please don't stop. It feels so good Ondolemar." He smiles, stepping forward again to resume his work. Silence falls as he works, your head gently bobbing up and down as you fought off sleep. 

You weren't exactly sure how you got to bed, nor how you wound up so tangled together in the morning light. But truthfully you didn't care, because as long as you had him by your side then a few sleepless nights were worth it. 

Boop.

I did the thing.