You can't sleep Part 2

Mercer: The candle flames flickered as you paced by for what seems like the millionth time. You glance anxiously at the door, head turning slightly to see if you could see anything out the pitch dark windows. When nothing was found a soft curse slipped from rose lips, your hand pushing through your hair to bring it away from your face. You paced some more before deciding that wasn't doing any good and to read instead.

Pushing a chair into a prime position to watch the door and see out the windows you began to read. Or at least you tried, after reading the same sentence over seven times you grumbled, throwing the book away not caring where it landed.

"Careful with that. It was hard to find." His voice comes from behind you.

You turned, relief rolling off of you. "If I'd known throwing a book down would summon you I would've done that a while ago." You try to joke, before rising to wrap him in an embrace. "I was getting worried."

Mercer smiled, placing a few kisses on your forehead, before pulling back enough to cup your face with his hand. "I'm safe, I'm safe." He assures, soft caresses run across your cheek. You smile just as softly, content in this moment. Slowly Mercer pulls away, holding onto your hand as he heads toward the bed. He settles you there so you can watch him as he washes away the day and changes into his night clothes. Once he is done he climbs into bed and lays next to you.

Gently you pull him to you, smothering what skin you could reach with kisses. He smiles as you do so, humming contently as you settle against his chest. "Sleep now my little sneak thief. We're safe. And I love you."

"I love you too." You murmur, before finally drifting off to sleep in his arms.

Nazir: Tired eyes roamed over his face, observing his sleeping form. Over the crow's feet, the little furrow between his eyebrows smoothed out for now. He looked precious while he slept, though you would never admit that out loud. How long had you been laying here unable to sleep? You pondered as you returned your head to rest upon his chest.

Perhaps it was time to get up and find something else to occupy your mind. Carefully you began to slip off of Nazir, taking your time to make sure he doesn't wake. One foot peeked out from under the blanket, nearly recoiling from the cold floor. If Nazir wasn't asleep you would have jerked it back, but this was now a stealth mission, no going back. Slipping out from one arm you froze as a soft grumble sounded from his chest, a curious glance at his face revealed he still slept so you waited for a minute before resuming your task.

Tilting your weight to the side you laid half on and half off him now. So close to freedom. With baited breathe you lift his hand off of you, settling it down beside him as you fully remove your weight. With a smile you feel successful, turning to grab a pair of pants for leaving when a warm hand captures your wrist.

"Where do you think you're going?" His voice deep with sleep.

"I thought you were asleep." You whisper, turning to meet his curious eyes. "I'm going to find something to do. I can't sleep."

"I know you've been wiggly." He smiles, sitting up.

"I'm sorry Nazir." You murmured, reaching out to stroke his face. "Go back to sleep my love."

Nazir began to pull you back into bed, ignoring your protest and settled you next to him. Half on him, half off. His hand began to play with your hair, the motions soothing to your soul. "Did I ever tell you about the time my father took me on my first hunt?"

"No, I don't think you have." You answer, looking at him.

"Ah its a great story. You see it started as one would expect: a much younger me full of excitement and dread. We left early in the morning..." Nazir began recounting the story to you, making you laugh at times, but slowly you began to relax his timbre voice lulling you to sleep. He had just made it half way through the story of how he got his favorite bow when you he noticed you sleeping. "Sleep tight my girl." He murmurs before joining you in the realm of dreams.

Tulius: The fire crackled softly, the dull thuds of boots marking the time passing. A tired sigh left rose lips, before pulling a long drought from the tankard resting in your hands. Perhaps a lap around town would wear you down enough to sleep. Rising you gathered your cloak, tucking the short sword in its place around your waist. Without much preamble you left the castle, casting candlelight as you did so.

The night hung heavy in the air, casting her blanket over the buildings, lit windows peaking out like little stars in the sky. Softly you smile to yourself, enjoying the cool ocean breeze. You had just passed the bards college when you heard footsteps coming up behind you, your hand gripping the hilt of your sword beneath your cloak.

"Easy torch bug, it's just me." Tulius spoke, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Tulius, why are you up?" You ask, exasperated. He was finally getting a few nights of good sleep and you didn't want him to waste time on your inability not to sleep.

"I could ask you the same thing." He replies, looking over you as he begins to walk past you. "Come, walk with me." With a sigh you join him, walking in peace for a while.

"What woke you?" You ask finally, casting candlelight again above the two of you.

"Nightmare." He answers, "And you?"

"Just couldn't go to sleep. I'm sorry you had a nightmare." Tulius just shrugs, his hand slipping to grab yours. He squeezes it almost too tightly, causing you to squeeze back reassuringly. "I'm safe Tulius, I'm safe."

"I know, I know." He assures you, though he pulls you closer to him.

Now in silence you both travel about the town, content with each other's company. Tulius eventually leads you back to the castle, back to your bed. He is tender in his movements, removing your cloak and sword from you. He helps you remove your boots, helps you undress down to comfortable clothing before undressing himself. He pulls you into bed with him, firm hands running up and down your back as you settle against him. "I love you." He murmurs, placing a kiss on your forehead.

"I love you too." You yawn, now tired from your walk. The dark settles over you both comfortably, his hand resting protectively on your back. Slowly you drift off to sleep, content in his arms.

"Sleep tight my torch bug." Tulius whispers before sleep claims him as well. And when the morning comes you're both tangled together, happily in your own world.