-21-

Well, Elena stabbed Jeremy. He was now lying on the couch, deader than a doornail, whatever that means. Damon and I walked in first and was now listening to Elena ramble. "I don't want to talk to Stefan. He's been lying to me and hiding things from me. He compelled Jeremy to forget God knows what, and he's letting his ex live in the same house as him but I can't be insecure about that even though they've known each other for God knows how many years! And-" Elena ranted. "Hi, his ex here, and nothing is going on between us. You've got nothing to worry about, sweetheart." I said, yawning. "Yeah, and in all fairness, I think you killing him kinda trumps that. And you should have called Stefan." Damon jumped in.

"I don't trust him right now, Damon." Elena denied. Stefan walked in. "Hey." He muttered. "PS, we were in the room when you DIDN'T call Stefan." I scoffed. "What happened? Why didn't you call me?" He asked his girlfriend. "I just - I need to go upstairs and shower. Clean all the blood off my hands." She ran upstairs. Jeremy sat up and gasped dramatically. "Hey, zombie. How are you feeling?" I asked, sitting down on the armrest behind him. "What happened?" He looked around. Stefan walked upstairs. Oh boy.

-

Damon and I sent Jeremy off to school and began cleaning blood from the floors. "I think I need to move out, D." I sat up against the counters. "What? No. Stop being dramatic, she'll get over it." He moved next to me. "Damon, girls have a code. I need to respect that, no matter how long I've known Stefan. It's only right. It's not like I'm going to Egypt." I chuckled. "You're fine. She's just exaggerating. Let her get to know you before you jump to leaving again." He suggested. "I just..." I thought about what I was going to say. I shouldn't say anything. I don't want to make him sad.

"Talk to me." Damon's face dropped. His blue eyes looked over my face. "I don't think I really fit in here. You know these people. You've spent what, two years here? You know the Lockwoods, the Forbes, the Gilberts, the Donovans, even the Bennetts. I don't. I'm known as Stefan's psycho ex who appeared out of the blue. I mean, Elena doesn't even wanna look at me. You have a life here, Damon. And while it's been great getting to see you again, I just don't feel at home here. I want to. I really want to. I just...cadon't." I looked up at the ceiling. I heard shuffling and looked at the walkway. Stefan was standing there, hurt sketched on his features. "Stefan-"

His phone began ringing. "It's Klaus." He said, staring at the screen. "Oooh, time to face the music. Pay the piper, dance with the devil." Damon smirked. "You know, I'm glad you find this amusing. If he finds out we told you about the cure, he'll kill, not just both of us, but all of us." Stefan glared. "Just give me the phone, Stefan." I stood up and he handed me his phone. I answered.

"Stefan's phone, your favorite vampire speaking. Speaking of which, we don't wanna talk about it." I said, referring to Connor's death. "Well, I can't imagine why what with you ruining all my plans for a hybrid filled future." He replied calmly. "Well, it wouldn't have happened, if you hadn't sworn us to secrecy." I threw the cloth away and looked at Damon. "Life's full of ifs, rabbit. But let's accentuate the positives, shall we? The hunter was one of five; we'll find another. It may take centuries, but we've got nothing but time, right?" I could hear him smile from the end of the line.

Nothing but time.

It reminded me of Stefan and I's promise to stay with each other for eternity. It scares me now. "You're using your calm voice today, Nik. Who's getting killed?" I laughed calmly, keeping it balanced so I wasn't rude to make him mad. "Not you, if that's what you're worried about. But I am concerned about your beloved's one true love. Have the hallucinations started yet?"

"Wait, you know about that?" I looked at Stefan and Damon. "I'll tell you everything. Where are you?" He asked me. "At Elena's," I replied. "How convenient, so am I."

There was knocking at the door. I hung up. I don't know why I suddenly got a burst of happiness knowing he was back. Maybe it was because he was someone I could relate to. I sped walked to the front door and opened it. "Klaus!"

We hugged, which was odd. However, we brushed it off and began talking seriously. Stefan wasn't very happy. "What do you know?" He asked immediately. "I killed the original five hunters, remember? When one kills a hunter, there's a bit of a consequence. The hunters were spelled by witches to kill vampires; if you prevent one from fulfilling his destiny then he'll take you down with him."

"What do you mean? Connor's dead." Stefan frowned. "I mean, Connor's death won't prevent him from making Elena his final vampire kill. She'll need to come with me now. I'll lock her up, keep her away from any sharp wooden objects." He offered. "She's not going anywhere with you." Stefan immediately shook his head. I sat down on the swinging bench. "Well, if we leave her alone, she'll take her own life before the day is out." He told us. "She's stronger than that," Stefan told him. "She stabbed her own brother. I don't think she can beat this, Stefan. I'll go with them to make sure she's safe." I said. We were quiet. I heard the front door open and Elena ran onto the porch and stopped. Klaus super-sped towards her and grabbed her, and that's when I knew to run too.