-18-

heartbroken by the death of corey la barrie. just a little something while i try to recollect myself. its 5 am and i just cant sleep. gone too soon.
-
I ate quietly, watching as River gnawed on her bottom lip nervously. She didn't know how to explain what happened, but I'm not sure I want to hear. Does she like Damon or something? My mouth asked before I reacted to my own thoughts. "No! No, I--No. Not like that." She denied. "I didn't mean to ask. I, uh, just- I don't know. I thought you would like him considering the fact..." I trailed off. Her cheeks flushed. "It was jealous sex. He was jealous of you and Elena and I...w-well it isn't important. I was tipsy, drunk even, and didn't really understand what I was doing." She stammered.

I couldn't help but be somewhat relieved. "It's alright. Just making sure." I forced a chuckle. "Good." She let out a deep breath and I smiled. Her phone dinged. "They're at the Lockwoods." She informed. "Great. Let's go."

-
River's POV

We walked into the living room, Stefan instantly racing to Elena and hugging her. Damon looked at me awkwardly. "Where the hell have you been?" He asked his brother. "Coming up with a plan," Stefan replied simply. "Yeah, we have a plan. The plan is I'm gonna rip Connor's heart out and I'm going to feed it to him." Damon snapped. "That's not a plan. We need to be careful. Connor has Jeremy and who knows how many other hostages." Stefan declined. "Hence, the open-heart surgery." Damon crossed his arms. Stubborn ass.

"He's right, Damon," I added. "No, Damon's right. Connor's strong, but he's not going to be able to take all of us." Elena defended. "I called in the hybrids to help too," Tyler said. Caroline walked in. "My mom put squad cars blocking the streets. They're saying it's a faulty gas main. We're good to go." She announced. "Good, great. No cops, no witnesses, no reason to wait around." Damon clapped his hands together. "All right, hold on, you're not all going." Stefan looked at Elena, Caroline, and I. "Are you joking, Stefan?" I glared. "No. You're staying."

"He shot me like nine times. If we're killing him, I want in." Tyler got up from his chair. "He's got Jeremy. I'm going." Elena also pitched in. "Listen, nobody is going anywhere until I figure out what we're walking into." Stefan declared. "Until you figure it out? This is a team effort, Stefan. Cut the horse shit." I spat. "Is that where you've been all morning? Out buying bossy pants with your bestie?" Damon looked at Stefan and I. "Shut up, Damon." Stefan and I said in unison.

"This guy is known for setting traps, right? We'd be pretty dumb to walk into one, especially if he has werewolf venom." Stefan then told them. "Does he?" Elena asked. "He's had it before," I told her. Elena began to rethink the plan. "Fine. Fine, if you want to take some time to do recon, you get one hour. But we're gonna need some extra help. So, where the hell's the Wicked Witch of the West?" Damon burst. "She can't do magic." Blondie scoffed. "Really? Well, call her, tell her Jeremy's life is in danger; maybe that will bring her out of retirement."

-

I walked around Town Square with Stefan. He was on the phone with Klaus, updating him on the situation. "You expect me to care about bloody hostages?" Nik snapped. "Well, you should. Damon does. So does Caroline, Tyler, Elena. If any of them get to Connor, then you just wasted a trip to Italy. I can buy us some time, but Damon's getting antsy. So, if you want Connor alive, you better get your hybrids on board with my plan." He threatened. "Wow, Stefan Salvatore has really evolved. Threatening with his humanity on and everything." I teased, smiling slightly. Stefan rolled his eyes. "Let's go, Ambrose."

I frowned slightly. I was only joking. "Okay, Mr. Bossy Pants," I muttered.