24

• • •

The whole week passed by, all the exams went well Alhumdulillah and in fact I was sent in the middle of the week, some sweets from my mother. She made it for me and my friends, but Safa's missing for now.

"When I come back, I will kill you both for eating aunty's sweets without me." Safa sounds annoyed at both Hania and I.

She's been going on about Hania and I finishing off the box of sweets my mother made for us three.

It's not our fault that she isn't here to enjoy the food.

"I'm sorry! But you'd be glad to know that I ate most of it." Hania's smirk arises on her face, as she only plans to make this worse for Safa.

Safa groans, "I hate you."

I laugh at the pair of them, as I take my phone back from Hania.

"I'm missing you." I admit to Safa, it's been weird without her.

Although, she did have a great time on her holiday. She went to Morocco for three days and had the greatest time. I'm happy for her, she deserves the world.

"I bet someone else has been missing her a bit more." Hania teases Safa, I slap her arm laughing.

She holds up her hand in defence, "Ow!" She says out loud, she pretends to act hurt for a moment but I roll my eyes at her.

"How's things with Daniel?" Safa asks calmly, I take a deep breath looking over at Hania.

"He's wanting to learn about Islam. But...everytime I speak about marriage it's as though it gets dismissed sort of?" I state.

"Maybe he wants to learn Islam first, before taking another huge step?" Safa questions, maybe she is right.

Learning about another religion and possibly converting to it is a massive change in the first place. I nod at Hania, as she seems to agree with Safa.

"I'll come see you both tomorrow. We're all meeting up at mine!" She ends the phone call, not giving us a chance to reject.

Hania gasps, "I'm excited!" She starts packing her things for her trip home for the two week holidays.

I, Hania and Safa share an apartment not too far from our university. In our first year, we lived there due to no dorms at our university.

"Are we living in our uni apartment at any time these holidays?" I grin, looking at Hania.

"Second week. Monday to Friday." She states calmly, as she holds me in a tight hug.

"I'm going to miss you and your calming nature." She holds me in her arms tighter, I roll my eyes chuckling.

"You're seeing me tomorrow and then in about a week again!" I remind her, to which she nods along.

"I hope things with Daniel go well." She rubs my arm, I give her a small smile.

"Me too."

• • •

I reached home about three hours ago, it's currently 9pm and I'm on the couch with my brother, Yusuf.

"Have you been pestered yet about marriage?" I smirk at him. "I would be happy to have another girl to be in our house. The more company, the better." I state.

He chokes practically on his own breath for a minute I'm concerned, but I realise that there may be someone and he's hiding it away from me.

"Wow! You're keeping secrets?" I assume, as I cross my arms over my chest. Flicking through movies on Netflix.

"No! But you're keeping secrets from me too." He states, smirking at me now.

My eyes widen, it's now my turn to choke on my own air. "W-what?"

How on earth does he know about Daniel?

"Don't lie. I've seen you texting someone all evening." He states proudly.

I gulp out of anxiousness, "I-i have not." I stand my ground, to which he rolls his eyes at me.

"You've never been a good liar, Inaya. Spill it." He turns to face me, as he waits for me to speak.

I look around, hoping my parents are not around. If my parents find out about me and Daniel, they might just start calling up his father and plan the wedding immediately.

Which I wouldn't mind, but Daniel? He doesn't seem too sure about marriage. He hasn't given me any hints either.

I look ahead, sighing. "He's sweet." I smile, remembering the time when he sat next to me for the first time in university. "He's the most funniest person I know." I look over at my brother, who seems offended because he would normally be number one on my list for the funniest person.

I guess Daniel's beat him to that now.

"He's stunning, yet so effortlessly flirty." I roll my eyes, chuckling at my own words.

I can't tell whether Yusuf seems interested or surprised...?

I look back at him, "Uh...?"

"Sounds like someone's totally in love." He shakes his head, a delicate laugh comes from him.

It scares me, how much my own feelings have taken over me. I nod at what he says, "I am."

His eyes widen, "Oh shit. This isn't like a crushy thing? It's like worth the L word?" There's the surprise I was waiting for.

I nod, laughing at his reaction.

"Well, I hope he's treating you well so far and continues to do that." He mentions, as he stands up ready to go to the kitchen, I assume.

"Wait." He turns around to face me, "He's the friend who's mother died?" He questions calmly.

That breaks my heart everytime. I nod slowly, as Daniel's face appears in my mind. How sad he was, is and how much this has an effect on him.

"He's so strong too." I manage to say as I feel tears prick at my eyes.

"He sounds amazing to me!"

Suddenly, I hear a familiar voice.

My mother's.

Quickly, I stand up to face her as I clear my throat. I look over at Yusuf to give him a hint to try and cover this up, instead he walks away with a smug grin plastered on his face.

I groan in frustration, this is not the time to discuss marriage and future plans with my parents.

I would love to tell them. Tell them everything, but right now? I don't know what Daniel even wants.

Usually, I tell my mother everything and I have spoken about Daniel before at some point but first I want to clarify with Daniel what he wants before I take any stage further.

Guess my eyes aren't as good as I thought, I have no idea how much my mother has heard.

- - -

- A/N -

Does Yusuf secretly like someone? 👀

I hope y'all are enjoying the story so far! 💘
Please vote & comment so I know how you all feel about the story 🥰

Next update : Thursday 4th June 2020