21. twister

"You should ask Matty over." Tom suggested. 

I had been in the house for about three hours, and everyone had eventually dragged themselves downstairs, including Sylvia's most recent boyfriend who looked a lot nicer than the last one I met. He was called Ed, and a new girl who had moved into the room I had shared with Matty, called Becca, who happened to be a huge fan of The 1975.

"Yeah you should! You two are really cute together. He keeps posting photos of you to Twitter." Becca laughed fondly. 

I blushed slightly, I hadn't checked Twitter in quite a few days, I feared that if I did I would go insane or something. 

"Okay," I said. "I'll send him a text." I said, taking my phone out of my pocket and turning it on. 

'Do you want to come over here? Everyone wants to see you again. Love you. xoxo Lizzy.' 

He replied almost instantly. 

'I fucking love you. On my way. x Matty.' 

I smiled at my phone before tucking it in my pocket. 

"He's on his way." I smiled, sipping at my second mug of wine. 

Becca grinned at me. 

"What did he say?" She asked, giggling like a child, despite the fact that she was at least four years older than me. 

"Just that he's on his way-" 

"Seriously. What did he say?" 

I awkwardly handed her my phone and she grinned with delight. 

"I wish I had a relationship like yours." 

"I don't deserve it." I said simply, staring into the depths of my mug. 

"When Matty gets here, we're all going into the living room and we are going to play Twister. Seriously." Sylvia said, plonking her mug down on the table. I wasn't sure if she was being the typical Sylvia we all knew and loved or if she was trying to soften to rough edges of the conversation. 

"Last time we played twister, Bry ended falling on top of me." Tom looked up from his phone, frowning at the two girls as he pushed his glasses further up his nose gently. 

"Lemme tell you, Tommy boy, that wasn't an accident." She put on a fake accent and winked at him before busting out into fits of laughter. 

I laughed quietly with everyone. 

"Yeah okay," I said inbetween fits of laughter. "I haven't played Twister in years though." 

We continued making idle small talk about how much our lives had all changed in the past year, and suddenly, after hearing about everyone else, I realised how much had remained the same in mine. 

Matty arrived shortly after the text. He must have gotten a cab, I guessed. 

"Matty!" Sylvia screeched, running to hug him awkwardly, which I didn't mind. But I did when Becca hugged him as well. 

"Hi," she said happily. "I'm Becca." 

"Hi." He replied, immediately smiling when he saw me. 

"Hi." I said. 

"Hi." He kissed my forehead.

"Time for Twister!" Sylvia screeched, barely even giving Matty enough time to shut the door. 

Matty looked at me with a questioning expression on his face, I just shrugged. 

"I don't even know." 

Ten minutes later everyone was tangled around each other on the Twister mat, laughing, while Tom stayed on the side, spinning the board. 

"Lizzy," Tom said, spinning the dial around and waiting for it to come to a stop. "Left hand on red." 

I groaned as I pushed myself up, lying directly across Matty to get my hand in the right place. He grinned from underneath me, making me laugh quietly. 

"Bry... right foot on blue." Tom said. 

"How the fuck am I supposed to do that?" she laughed, turning her head to look at him. She was lying across Matty and Becca, in a sort of a crab shape. 

Matty used his one free arm to push her towards the blue circle and she laughed slightly. 

"Thanks Matty." she said, her voice slightly pained due to her body being bent in ways it had probably never been before. 

She laughed quietly as Tom began spinning the dial for Becca. 

"Right hand on yellow." 

I watched as Becca coughed and stretched herself across the top of Matty, her chest right in his face. She grinned triumphantly as she succeeded in not only stretching to the yellow circle, but also getting Matty's attention. 

I looked towards Bryony as I noticed Matty staring at Becca's chest as her boobs nearly fell out of her black halter neck vest top.

Her long blonde hair fell down onto his face and neck and as stupid and paranoid as it sounded, all I could think of were Matty's words from the previous year. 'Did I ever tell you, I have a thing for blondes?'

"Hi." Becca said to Matty, grinning happily. 

"Hi." he replied. 

Bryony looked concerned, but I just carried on as if it was all normal. 

Yeah sure, he does this all the time. I'm completely fine with it. Don't worry about me. 

After five more spins of the dial, and various half hearted maneuverings, Matty ended up slipping on the mat as he tried to stretch his right leg all the way across to the blue circles. 

We all collapsed into a big pile, everyone was laughing, but mine felt dull and uncomfortable. 

I dragged my hands through my hair and sat up on the sofa between Bryony and Matty. 

"That was surprisingly fun." Sylvia laughed happily. 

"Yeah." I said, putting on a fake smile that was nearly impossible to see through.