10. strobes

i was watching clips from when they play robbers live and almost crying god help me now

sEND HELp

i'm supposed to be practising french nouns but i'm writing fanfiction and watching videos that make me so sad ugh

also i never like calling them 'the boys' or 'the guys' because it seems so... i dunno, you know what i mean? no you probably don't. but then i can't call them the 1975 either idk.

also i'd just like to say tHERE ARE ALMOST 11K READS ON WATER WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL. thank you all so much you lovely little mangos. mangoes. whatever it is. 

-

"So, let me get this straight, you want to take me up on stage from the crowd during one of your songs so that you can kiss me in front of a crowd of hundreds of people?" I looked up from my laptop, pushing my reading glasses, that I had never realised I needed until earlier that summer, up my head so that they were resting on my hair. 

"Yeah, basically." Matty said, taking a swig of water. 

There were three hours until their show started, so I was sitting on the stage, doing my work for college, even though I didn't actually go to college anymore... while they rehearsed. 

I'd screwed my life up badly. 

"But... enough people know about us already? If you want to go public or whatever it is then that's fine, but it just... what if it goes huge or whatever and you get questioned about me during an interview or something, then someone I know sees it and-" 

"Lizzy." 

"Yeah?" I asked,shutting my laptop and looking at him.

"Do you really give that much of a crap?" 

"I dunno, maybe, maybe not. Actually, not much, I just don't want to have to be there in front of people for an entire song." 

Matty laughed, sitting down opposite me. 

"I manage it." he says. 

"Yeah, but you're Matty, and everyone in the room will have come to see you and your band. Not you kissing some girl who you just grabbed from the crowd." 

----

"Right," Matty dragged his hand through his hair, earning a few screams from girls around me in the crowd. "Um, I really need a drink, just a second." 

He turned around and a girl next to me laughed and screamed "I'd tap that!"

I never thought I'd be a jealous girlfriend, but when you're in a room filled with hundreds of girls your age who are in love with, or want to shag your boyfriend, it's a little difficult not to turn a tad green with envy. 

I hated the fact that I wasn't enjoying myself. I would have been if I was sitting backstage, working on some piece of writing, listening to them playing and waiting to congratulate Matty with a kiss when they had finished, but Matty had told me that I really really needed to be in the crowd, if I was to go on stage for Robbers, which I really didn't want to do anyway. 

But then the other option, which was one that I would have to face in the future anyway, was that Matty picked another girl.

If Matty and his friends didn't have a fandom, everything would be fine.

Matty turned back around and caught eyes with me, then pointed. 

"Do you wanna come up for Robbers?" he spoke into the microphone. 

"Me?" I asked in the worst surprised voice to ever have been spoken. 

"Yeah, you. Orange blouse girl." he chuckled and I nodded my head. The girl next to me who had screamed profanities at Matty and Ross mainly, all through the concert grinned at me. 

"You're so lucky!" she said as a security man came through the crowd to get me. 

I got up on stage the safe way in stead of the way we had all been getting on and off it during the rehearsals. 

It wasn't that tall, maybe four foot, but it was tall enough for me to have to sit on the edge and lower myself to the ground, in stead of literally throwing myself off the edge. 

I walked up onto the stage, the lights shone into my eyes, blinding me completely. Matty bounced over to meet me and gave me a hug, I hugged him back, despite being slightly out of it. 

He sat me down on a small platform next to the drum kit. George, who had warmed to me slightly over time, smiled at me. 

"It'll be alright." he told me before they began to play. 

Matty's voice seemed to take me away from the stressful situation I was in, however, I was still sweating like crazy under the heat of the stage lights and the eyes of a sea of strangers, some of which probably knew of me.

Most of which probably hated me. 

How the fuck do people hate people they've never met? 

I shut my eyes and imagined that I was alone, but unfortunately, I couldn't for very long, because the end

of the song was nearing, and Matty was standing in front of me with his hand outstretched to mine as he sang loudly into the mic. 

I took his hand and he pulled me up so I was standing in front of him, he spun me around in an awkward little circle, holding his hand, which was clutching mine, above our heads so I could skin around. 

I smiled at him and he grinned back. 

"You look so cool." I mouthed to him as he sang those lyrics over and over again to me, before finally pulling me into a final hug and pressing his lips against mine. 

He lowered the microphone and I into his shoulder. 

"Can I wait backstage now?" I whispered into his ear discreetly and he nodded his head and tightened his grip on my waist, like he was afraid to lose me or some shit like that. 

I really wished that I could have seen that moment from his perspective. 

-----

I was wearing Matty's button down floral print blouse over mine after the show, as a sort of kimono. 

We were hanging around in some strange sort of bar that Matty had somehow managed to get me into. 

It was quite chilled and small, it was underground and so it was really really dark. 

A small band were playing on the so called stage which was, in reality, was more of a small raised section of floor, not that I was complaining, I much preferred this that what I had experienced a couple of hours before.

We were all pretty drunk, the only way to tell that I was, was because I kept laughing at everything, all the time. 

Matty leaned over and lazily brushed his lips over my cheekbone, then he grazed my nose with his teeth. 

"I like your blouse." he muttered. 

"I like your face." I replied, smirking at him. 

He kissed my lips gently. 

"I like yours."

"Good, I worked hard on it today." I smiled at him.

"Seriously though, I really like your blouse." 

"Maybe you can try it on when we get to the hotel." I replied.