7. motorway

It hurt, looking out at the vast space of busy motorway through the window. It really did.

There was something vacant about it. So many people, in one place, at the same time, but they were all isolated in their little unreliable boxes that I could never bring myself to trust. 

I kept telling myself that that was the reason I was upset, that I was being one of those people who despise the human race so much they feel sorry for them and their lack of love for one another. 

But that wasn't the truth. 

I came this way on that night, in the police car, all alone, and by alone I mean, not with Matty.

My dad drove on this motorway many times when we were going on family holidays to Butlins when I was so, so young. 

"Matty..." I nudged him in the dark car. He groaned and opened one eye and looked at me. 

"Mhm?" he mumbled, sitting up and stretching his arms up, his joints clicked, I grimaced.

"I need to pee..." I whispered to him. 

I mainly wanted a reason to get out of the car. 

"Lizzy needs the loo. Fuck, so do I. Where's the nearest service station?" Matty shifted uncomfortably in the darkness.

George thought about it for a moment. 

"About 10 miles." he replied. Matty mumbled several profanities and snuggled back where he was resting on my shoulder.

I hated using the word 'snuggled' for something Matty did, because when he was awake, or sober, it seemed so unlikely for him to be able to be soft.

I turned around so that I was facing Matty. I leaned over him, draping my head on top of his, our hair tangling together. 

Matty kissed the back of my hand.

I felt Adam's eyes on us, but I felt too awkward to look up at him. 

I was never one for public affection, unfortunately for me, Matty was. 

After ten miles of Matty constantly complaining about his bladder and me just wanting to get out of the stupid van as soon as possible, George pulled up in a parking space. 

I opened the door and undid my seat belt before stumbling out of the door. My legs were asleep, so when Matty clambered out after me I grabbed onto his shoulder to balance myself, but the extra weight on his body made his legs buckle and we almost fell over again, we both laughed quietly and Matty winced. 

"I need to pee." he said. 

"Same." Ross and I said at the same time. 

Matty grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the building, I laughed as he stumbled into the service station. 

"Right. I'll see you in a bit." he said, dropping my hand and walking to the men's toilets.

I sighed as I slowly walked towards the ladies. 

When I came out, everyone was gathered in the small open plan, 24/7 Burger King, right next to the WHSmith shop which I seemed to be way more attracted to, but I walked over to my boyfriend, his friend's and their manager, who's name I had already forgotten, or maybe nobody had told me in the first place, I wasn't sure, I seemed to be floating around in a far from blissful bubble of naivety. 

"Do you want anything to eat?" Matty asked me, I shook my head, but I still stole his chips when he brought them to the table.

-

SHITTY FILLER CHAPTER WITH A WEAK ENDING AND HARDLY ANY MATTY AND LIZZY FLUFF

why did i write this chapter omg