THE DEFIANCE

[EVA'S POV]

I feel my eyelids lift up, revealing my eyeballs which land on a vaulted ceiling. I blink several times, realizing I'm actually existing. A heart is beating in my chest, blood is rushing in my veins, a tongue is moving in my mouth. My nose is smelling sweet incense and exhaling carbon dioxide.

I sit up and observe my surroundings while touching my body like a newly constructed robot who has just come into existence. I literally have a life! There are three candelabra in the room, a huge mirror with a stool, a large bed I'm sitting on with thick, expensive paisley sheets.

This not the afterlife! This is my room! I'm in Exyclott! What am I doing alive? How the hell am I not dead? It was my dream to be remembered as a martyr and now it was all ruined! Great, now I can't be a hero.

Suddenly, I see three familiar men rush to my room and surround my bed. One of the men is middle aged with very pale green eyes, wearing a long, red leather coat. That is....wait, that's Damaris? And...and the old looking man in the armor is Moros and the good looking one next to him is .....

"Ace!" I gasp, throwing my weak hands around him. I hear myself tearing up onto his shoulder. "Ace, you're alive!"

I feel his larger hands on my back as he pulls me closer and tighter to him.

"Eva! You can't imagine how happy I am to see you awake. I missed you so much." he said as he let go off me, but not completely, kissing my forehead, and then my lips. Oh this definitely not the afterlife. You can't find such lips in the afterlife. It's all skulls and bones there.

I don't even remember how the afterlife was. I think I was, I don't know... asleep?

"How long have I been unconscious?" I ask innocuously.

"For three days, My Lady." Damaris answers.

My hand automatically flies to cover my wide open mouth. "Oh My God!"

"It's okay, love. You're awake, that's all that matters." Ace coaxes.

"But...but Moros you said if I revived him I was going to die. Why am I alive?" I ask, bewildered.

"I don't know, My Lady. I'm confused myself. Let's just thank your luck." Moros says.

"You two, please leave us alone. I'll be with you in a minute." Ace says, dismissing Damaris and Moros.

I stare at his precious face, smiling a little, as his gaze was fixated on our intertwined hands.

"I thought for a moment when I woke up that I was in heaven. But then I saw you and realized that people like you can never make it there." I say wryly with a smirk, as he chuckles and looks up at me. His eyes soften.

"I can't believe you did that for me. I would've killed Hudson if you died." he says, squeezing my hand.

"I don't even know what I was thinking." I sigh, pinching my nose. "It also seems surreal to me that I'm not dead."

"Whatever it is, I'm glad you're alive. Also you should thank Damaris for his concoctions. But if you died, Eva, I would've never forgiven myself..." he coos. "You didn't have to do that. That was crazy. I always knew I couldn't trust a Sansoran to make logical decisions."