이십구

𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 : 𝚛𝚎𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚝

____________________

a tree that was alone danced furiously in the wind, blows its leaves when the breeze getting harsher, and from what wonwoo sees from his hotel's window it seems like the temperature is dropping, freezing people who's walking to their respective houses or hotels, searching for warmth and a cup of tea to warm them up. even in a nice heated room, wonwoo can feel his fingers and body numb, his whole entire being is too shocked to even produce a sound.

so he just listen, and listen, and listen, with stunned silence to whatever seungcheol's words that left his mouth from the other line. processing and accepting it is quite hard, but wonwoo tried to, he just sat and listen attentively to the other.

seungcheol sighed, "that's when we started the case, after he told us every single thing happened in his past. he might be a fully grown adult now, but still. it's a child abuse case, he has a right to press a charge on them."

wonwoo took in a shaky breath.

he can feel his hands are shaking wildly, so he grips his jeans, curling on it a bit harder that makes his fingernails hurt.

"what if that was from the present? mind you, he's a mafia."

"i doubt so. the scars look old, but it's everywhere. but we'll still check thoroughly with doctors to confirm his statement."

wonwoo was silent, and seungcheol exhaled before he continues, "okay wonwoo. you're friends with him since school right? does he ever took his shirt off in front of you? no? because he never does in academy and i don't know if he does when you guys dated so you need to tell me-" seungcheol gasp, before he stop himself entirely.

wonwoo pursed his lips, trying to not get emotional, but he can't help it. because now he remembered back when they were still friends, when things were okay, soonyoung never ever showed his body to anyone, not even to wonwoo. and it kind of hits him really hard, because he realized how shitty of a friend he is, never actually cares about soonyoung.

he feels like a shit.

"wonwoo– fuck– no... no ! fuck i didn't mean that holy shit i'm sorry oh god," seungcheol sighed, feeling miserable.

"no... it's– okay."

"i'm so sorry"

there was a silence, before the older continues,

"yeah, i was shocked too when i checked his body. never knew his teenager life was that... horrible." seungcheol's voice felt faraway, his mind was thrown back when he met soonyoung back at the prison.

wonwoo smiles bitterly. "i guess i don't really know him, huh?" he sighed as he turn his face to the window, the evening sun almost disappearing, replaced with the moon light.

"don't say that." seungcheol speaks. "you know he did that just to protect you..." 

and wonwoo can't help it but feels his stomach churning, his heart beating loudly again. he just nod in silence though seungcheol can't see it. "and what happens next?"

seungcheol on the other line hummed, "well we went on few trials, successfully bailed him out. but soonyoung still can't run away from his mistakes on hurting people and vandalizes the city, it just his luck he never actually kill people. that's why his sentences were reduced to five months, also because of he was on his good behaviour."

wonwoo nods again, he felt too speechless until no words can be produced. it was already bad he didn't know the truth, knowing that soonyoung was taking all of this alone, while wonwoo with his endless hates for soonyoung- fuck he even left soonyoung who was on his knees earlier. wonwoo now only left with guilty, guilty and guilty, if he actually listens for soonyoung's explanation, maybe things could have changed. maybe his happiness would actually be next to him.

he can only sighed, as seungcheol says, "wonwoo, are you okay?"

and the other had to reply okay back, eventhough he's obviously not. his mind are pushing him to find soonyoung right now, asking him to be here, to be beside him again, to be with him.

but it's all too late.

"i really hope you can forgive him, wonwoo. when he said things about you, i was shocked because i never knew one's feelings can grow that deep until he will go that far. but now when jeonghan's here, i remember what it felt like..." seungcheol paused.

"...to be in love."

to be in love, wonwoo gulped.

"cheesy." the younger says as seungcheol laughed can be heard through the phone. 

"but still you'll forgive him, right?"

"...i'll try."

"promise ?"

wonwoo rolled his eyes, now he miss these mingyu and seungcheol's similarities, for being too clingy like this. "promise."

there's not even a second thought needed because by that time wonwoo knew he already forgive him.