My Best Friend

"What?" Rajat sounded confused at my sudden use of a foreign word, or in my case, a foreign name. I, however could not seem to remove my eyes from the familiar face who was now walking towards me with a broad smile on his face. He quickly reached in front me and kept looking at me with an intense expression.

"Tee.." he whispered and enveloped me in a hug, squeezing me against him. I froze at his proximity, my eyes closing, but my hands remained affixed at the sides. Shit! Shit! Shit!

"I missed you" he whispered in my ears, still holding me and my anger began resurfacing. Oh! You missed me? I contemplated pushing him away but stopped myself, not wanting to create a scene in a crowd. He must have realized that his not-so-welcomed hug was not going to be reverted, so he detangled himself from me but kept smiling down at me.

"You look...different" he spoke hesitantly after scrutinizing my attire. I groaned at his comment and felt a low chuckle coming from my right.

The awkwardness of the situation was broken by Alisha, when she approached us, both her palms covered with designs in green and a broad smile on her face.

"Hey Tammy Di! Yet another surprise for you" she managed a side hug with Juno, careful not to ruin her Mehndi. "I had called Arjun Bhaiya a couple of times before, inviting him to the wedding, but everytime he subtly turned me down" she dramatically rolled her eyes. "But this time, as soon as I told him that you are going to be here, he just jumped at the opportunity" she shoved him playfully by her elbow and he smiled, his eyes fixed on me.

Alisha must have noticed Rajat, who was still standing beside me scrutinizing the situation, and she introduced the two men. "He is my fiance's elder brother, Rajat Singhania" she told Juno, "and Rajat Bhaiya, meet Arjun Joshi. He was our neighbor when we were kids and he is Tammy Di's best friend".

"Pleasure meeting you, Arjun", Rajat turned to look into my eyes looking for some acknowledgement, may be, but I refused to give any reaction. I was not ready to go back to recalling the last meeting with my best friend yet.

"You know Rajat Bhaiya..when we were kids, Tammy Di and Arjun Bhaiya were almost inseparable" Alisha got all excited, relaying our childhood stories to Rajat. "They did their schooling and college together and there were times when Arjun Bhaiya used to stay over at our place for days..I was so jealous of their friendship. I wish I had a friendship like theirs too".

I lifted my head to look at Juno, the flashbacks gushing back to me. His smile had now subsided but the hopeful expression did not leave his face. Alisha, unaware of the awkwardness, continued her excited ramble.

"But five years back, Arjun Bhaiya and his family shifted to Delhi and that was the last we saw him. At that time, I didn't think you will break all contacts, even with Tammy Di!" Alisha frowned up at Juno. "Di! Won't you say something? Your best friend is here!" she looked at me with a hopeful expression.

"Alisha..I think your Di is still angry with my sudden departure" Juno smirked at me and I boiled with anger at his audacity. One look at my face, and his smirk faded to a serious expression. "Umm..Tee! Can we talk.." he asked hesitantly and then looked towards Rajat "..somewhere alone?".

I looked in his eyes, his eyes pleading silently. I, however, could not forgive him after all that happened. I was in no mood of talking to this guy who once used to be my best friend, and certainly not alone. I found my voice after a long time.

"Hey Ally.." I turned all my attention to my sister who seemed shocked at my addressal to her, for Juno's question. "The design on your hands look wonderful. Do you think I can get them on my hand too?" I asked pushing fake cheerfulness in my voice. I could feel three confused pairs of eyes looking down at me.