[15] Rare Merriment

The soft crunching of leaves were the only sounds he could hear as he left the woods, the cries of his prey had died out long ago and he knew well that the body was safely discarded where there would be no risk of it being discovered soon.

Lestat was returning after disposing off the body of his prey, his feet instinctively taking him back to the tavern even though it had been long since he had last visited. But as he neared the tavern, a mixture of music and laughter drifted towards him and he paused, listening closely to the sounds emitting from the place.

Among the clamor of the music created by various instruments was the rather familiar sound of a light crystal like laugh and a smile flickered on his face at imagining how Eva's blue eyes would light up each time she laughed freely as such, the rosiness of her cheeks even more prominent rivaling the shades of freshly bloomed rosebuds.

Curious to know what the people were up to at the tavern, he stepped inside and noticed that the whole place was on a whim. Loud carefree music was emanating from the drums, lutes and spoons being clanked on the tables with nearly all the visitors dancing in the center. Boots tapped against the wooden floor as the people danced, arms linked together as they spun in circles before exchanging partners.

A man played the accordion while another held a fiddle and a lively rhythmic beat was created by the tapping of the feet and the constant claps and thrumming of drums, spoons and dishes. It was almost as if a party was going with everyone taking part in the carefree dancing and music.

His eyes landed on Evaline and the expression on her face was a lot like the one he had imagined, her blue eyes alight and her features set in a dazzling smile. Her arm was linked through a man's as she completed half a circle with him before exchanging partners with Theresa.

The dance continued with all dancers exchanging partners with the pairs on their right after a half circle then turning to the left for the next round going in a bigger circle before the partner exchange.

It seemed as if she enjoyed the music and dancing a lot for he had never seen her as happy before other than those times when he had reenacted comedic plays to her.

He was leaning against the wall, eyes focused on her blithe form, watching her for once enjoy herself. He was thinking how it would be like to see her laugh and smile like that much more often, his thoughts drifting towards figuring out a way to ensure that.

But his train of thoughts was broken when her eyes met his grey irises and a delighted laugh escaped her as if she was quite glad to see him there. Seeing her as such sent a soft smile playing on his lips as well as he dipped his head in acknowledgement.

She gestured him to join the dance, her hand outstretched slightly before her partner got switched with the couple on the right and she spun along in another half circle.

Completing the rounds she approached him at last where he was standing in the corner, her hand reaching out again as he clasped it in a firm grip twirling her slightly. A light laugh escaped her, the pleasant sound of it echoing in his ears clearly despite the loud atmosphere that could have overpowered it, her cheeks flushing red from all the laughter.

Her head rested on his shoulder for a while in an attempt to catch her breath and when she seemed to have calmed down, she looked up, "would you please give me the honor of this dance, kind Sir?"

"The honor is mine, my lady," he gently lifted her hand that was clasped in his own, placing a delicate kiss at her knuckles at which her cheeks blushed even deeper.

She brought him into the middle of the dance floor that had been created by shifting away all the tables in order to clear up the space. The tune changed to polka music and the dancing pattern changed along with it. 

"I forgot the steps," she admitted as she stumbled, chuckling a little at her own self, her voice louder than usual as she had to speak up above the noise being created around them.

"It does not matter, you will recall it soon enough." He guided her steps to the dance just like the other couples were doing so, his right hand placed on her back while the other was entwined through hers.

By the time the music switched to another tune, she was rather out of breath but still laughing in delight. Her hair had escaped the bun in which it was held in, windblown strands framing her face and making her appear like an exquisite vision to him.

A clear portrayal of a soul that was too precious for the wretched world.

"My feet are sore," she remarked as he made her sit down on an upturned bucket in a corner, holding her hand still as she released her feet from the tight shoes.

"How long have you been dancing?" Lestat asked noticing that the heel of her foot along with her ankle and toes had gotten red.

"Ever since the dance started," she answered, eyes glazing over in a thoughtful look, "hours, I suppose."

"So you enjoy the music...?"

"Very much so," she retrieved her hand from his as she stood up barefoot, "I could keep dancing the whole night."

"And that would render your feet in blisters."

"It does not matter for such merriment is rare," she remarked, "and when we do get the chance to enjoy ourselves for once, we do so fully for there is no knowing whether we would get another or not."

He had noticed the slight edge in her tone though she disguised it by another laugh, averting her gaze from him as she looked at the dancing couples in the center though her smile did not falter.

"And since you are here tonight, Monsieur, this merriment will be most memorable. Stay and enjoy our very best for there is no knowing whether such a night would come again," she lifted her skirt a little in a curtsy before joining her friend Theresa who had left to fetch the drinks for the guests as the music had started to draw to a closure.

Though her words had left him in a slight confusion as if there had been something she was trying to imply throughout but he had not yet grasped the meaning of it. He looked up to see the two handing out the drinks to the dancing couples that had retired after the end of the music until Evaline reached him.

She offered him a glass as well and when he accepted, a smile flickered on her face as she spoke, "à votre santé."

But before he could respond, she had left and he was yet again caught up in a whirlwind of thoughts, all regarding the beautiful tavern maid who had somehow captured his heart.

***