[14] Cursed

Instead of entering through the main entrance of the tavern, Evaline chose to go to the backside where the tavern maids' rooms was located. She found Theresa dragging in a pail of water through the door but seeing her, she came immediately towards her, almost dropping the bucket.

She engulfed her in a tight embrace, holding her close, "Evaline, you scared me so much... I was terrified that you would never come back."

She pulled apart but still held onto her hands as she examined her carefully, searching whether she was hurt or not. Her gaze fell on her scratched hands and split lip as well as her dress that was ripped from the edges but she said nothing as she led her inside.

After she had made sure that Evaline was feeling much better, she asked, "what had happened last night?"

Lestat's words of warning echoed in her head as she replied reluctantly, "I do not know..."

Theresa's brow furrowed but she chose not to probe further, "you are not hurt, are you?"

She shook her head but her friend still seemed uncertain of her state. She had brought the bucket of water inside and drenching a piece of cloth in it, she gently cleansed the scratches on her skin. 

"And that French gentleman, did he find you?"

"You told him even though I had forbade you to?" Evaline asked, looking at her closely, "so it was you who told him."

"Did he rescue you from that wild animal?"

"Wild animal... Yes. But please do not tell that to anyone else. I do not want to trouble him any more than I have already done so."

Eva hated lying to her friend but knew there was no other option. Still she was skeptical that after knowing her for so long, Theresa would have noticed that she was lying.

But before she could ask further, the door to their room opened and their third room mate entered. Seeing Evaline sitting there, she rushed out to alert Rob, despite Theresa's attempts to stop her.

Shorty afterwards, the room was crowded by the likes of Rob, Malcolm as well as the other tavern maids, all curious to find out the sinister happenings of the previous night.

"Tell us truthfully, what had happened last night?" Rob demanded soon as his eyes landed on her.

Her voice stuttered as she spoke up, "he took me to the forest and... And an animal attacked but what happened afterwards, I do not know."

"An animal?"

"Yes."

"And where had you been this entire time? Gordon returned by midnight but he had said you were not in the forest."

She looked at Theresa pleading her not to contradict her, "I woke up in the forest and came back soon afterwards. I do not know anything else."

"Are you certain?"

"Why would I lie to you? I have told you all that I remember. What happened afterwards was not in my consciousness."

Rob's brow furrowed in suspicion as he shook his head dismissively, "you nearly cost us a customer, Eva, and you shall not be forgiven for that."

Surprise crossed her features, "I cost you a customer? What are you talking about?"

"What if Gordon had died last night? Do you know who would have been blamed for it? You!"

Theresa held her close though her eyes flashed angrily at Rob, "it is not Eva's fault. Let her be."

"Let her be?" His voice rose to an alarming pitch and Eva's grip on her friend's arm tightened in fear, "your dear friend has become much more taxing for us. She causes more trouble than she earns and that is unacceptable."