[02] An Unexpected Visitor

The sky was starless and blue with the sunlight fading, announcing the oncoming of the night. Bluish grey eyes fluttered open in his hollow sockets and he looked around, assessing that it was time to hunt. Not that he would step out of the mansion; its abandoned premises offered enough supply of rats.

Yet there was a time when he had scorned at Louis for surviving off on rats, but in the twist of events it happened to be the only food supply he could count on.

He had not yet hunted enough when he stopped, sensing the unmistakable sound of footsteps edging near. He dropped the dead rat he had been holding, wiping off his mouth with his sleeve and retreated to his armchair, making sure not to cause any unnecessary sound.

Though he sat alert, listening closely to the disturbances caused in the otherwise silent mansion as whoever that was approaching proceeded further inside. For what seemed like the first time in years, his senses were ensnared by the scent of human blood and he froze in his seat, his eyes focused hungrily at the entrance of the room he was hiding in.

The sound of footsteps seemed to have died down though he knew well that the human who had foolishly entered his retreat was undoubtedly near, as the scent grew stronger. A burning sensation had erupted in his throat scorching him from the inside and he turned away in his armchair, not able to face the door without pouncing on whoever was yet to step through.

The dried leaves on the floor crunched, announcing the arrival of the poor victim and Lestat held his hand up, voice reduced to a rasp as he spoke, "halt. And step no further."

He had refrained from turning to see the human standing in the doorway though he could inevitably feel the presence of a soul other than his own in the abandoned mansion for what seemed like the first time in decades. And that notion of someone else's presence seemed enthralling to a lonely creature like him who had spent an eternity or so he thought, trapped in the unbearable company of his own self. 

"Kind Sir, I do not intend to intrude. But may I stay just for a short while here?"

The voice that addressed him was sweet as it fell upon his ears though a little out of breath from running all the way there. Still just as sweet as the scent that had diffused in the air. He noticed that it lacked the lilting Creole accent he had been accustomed to hear back when he still roamed the streets freely, reminding him of the considerable amount of time that had passed since then. 

He could sense that the visitor was a young woman, terrified out of her wits and despite himself, he resisted the urge to prey upon her. After all it had been years since anyone had paid him a visit so he steadied himself, gently turning the armchair to face her.

Lestat de Lioncourt was never known to haste in consuming his prey. He took his time assessing whether the victim truly deserved such a fate or not, as in his own words, the evil doers tasted better than the innocent. Though there were times when he had refrained from abiding by that rule as well. 

"You may stay but pray do not come hither. Sweet maidens as you are not befitted for such ruins."

A sigh of relief escaped her yet she drew back, taking note of his warning, "I am most grateful."

The dark was increasing and so was his sight along with it and what had seemed to be a faded silhouette at first cleared up and he could see her frail form more distinctly. 

"May I ask what made you step in my decaying retreat?" His curiosity took the better of him as he asked, not being able to read her thoughts himself due to his weakened state.

"I was being chased, Sir. I seek refuge for until I can go back safely."

His eyes subtly searched her face, realizing instantly why she was being chased and by whom. She had a rather rosy complexion and clear blue eyes that seemed to glow even in the dark. And roaming out in the city at night for such a beautiful maiden like her was bound to get her chased by the voracious creatures that lurked the streets in the dark.