Pretty Gertrude Stein

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

. . .

A cozy, aged smell filled the bookstore, aisles lined tightly with weathered pages. Ella ran a finger along the ancient, dusty spines. She didn't have a massive budget, exactly, but they'd stopped in partially because of the Edgar Allen Poe decorations. The author's fan society had begun rolling into town the day before, and all the Stars Hollow businesses were taking advantage of the possibility for sales, the bookstore only one of many. Sighing heavily, she pursed her lips and decided she should move on to the next shelf. There, she found Jess with a couple dystopian novels in his hands. Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451. He was on a masochistic kick, as always, but instead of heartbreak it was now the fate of the world.

"I'll have to give you The Handmaid's Tale next. Probably scarier than both of those combined," she said, gesturing to the books in his hands as she crossed her arms over her chest.

Jess shrugged. "Not everyone reads things for the terror factor, Morticia."

"Well, not everyone can handle it," she quipped, smirking.

He chuckled, then turned away from the various volumes and held the books to his chest. "You ready to go?"

Ella nodded.

"Really? Not even the Poes are striking your fancy?" he asked, raising his eyebrows at her empty hands as they made their way to Andrew at the register.

"Trying to save up. Textbooks and whatnot."

"Very wise of you, college girl," he said, nodding at Andrew as he put his choices on the desk.

She breathed a sigh through her nose. "Besides, master of horror or not, Poe was still a creep who married his thirteen-year-old cousin."

"Fair enough," Jess agreed, digging in the pocket of his jeans for some crumpled dollar bills.

"But, when you consider the time period-" Andrew began as he placed Jess's books in a paper bag, but Ella immediately cut him off and raised a hand.

"His wife was a child who was a victim of oppressive patriarchal norms. I'm not even entertaining this conversation, Andrew. Good luck with the crazies this weekend," she said, bidding him goodbye as soon as Jess had the bag in his right hand, grabbing his left and leading him towards the door.

Jess smirked proudly at her as they exited the store into the April evening. Squeezing her hand, he pressed a kiss to her cheek. The air was still slightly warm from the sunny afternoon, even as the pinkish evening came. Ella breathed in the night and glanced over at the town square. The gazebo was empty below the twinkling lights. She and Jess were set to study for the evening, with Jimi Hendrix on the record player. Though they both were aware the night would probably end in distraction.

"You wanna hang out tomorrow?" she asked. "We could go to the movies or something? Or we could watch those fake Poes butcher 'The Raven' at Patty's?"

Jess shrugged. "Actually, I've gotta go to Shangri-la."

"Really?" she asked, eyebrows furrowing. "I thought they didn't schedule you for Saturdays anymore?"

"The exception that proves the rule."

Snickering, she stopped walking and turned to face him with a smirk. "If you're mixed up in something, you can just go ahead and tell me, Scarface."

He rolled his eyes. "Very funny, Daria. I just..."

"What?" she asked, face falling into a frown of concern.

Heaving a sigh, he finally locked eyes with her again. "I'm employee of the month and I get two hundred dollars for going to this stupid ceremony."