As in Debbie Harry

Disclaimer: All Gilmore Girls content belongs to Amy Sherman-Palladino.

NOTE: Gilmore Girlsis often a very sex-negative show. There are many examples of the sex-negative narrative through the series, such as when Lorelai implies Paris is "the bad kid" for losing her virginity, or when Lane gets pregnant with twins the first time she has sex with Zach. In "Keg! Max!" Jess tries to pressure Rory into having sex while in a bedroom upstairs during Kyle's party. In my opinion, that scene seemed a very clumsy (and, honestly, out of character) attempt to convey Jess's inward situation outwardly without using words. It is a very difficult scene to watch and it is Jess's worst moment in the whole series by far. With this chapter of my AU, I am in no way trying to trivialize that scene or be an apologist for that kind of behavior. It's unacceptable in every way. Consent is extremely important, and should be clearly given by everyone involved each time they have sex.

Instead, I wanted to create a more positive representation of teen sex. Sex is a normal part of life, and people should not be shamed for having it. I wanted the conversation between Jess and Eleanor to be realistic and beneficial. And I wanted the morning after to be positive too. I wanted it to be clear that they both gave consent during the initial conversation and right before they actually had sex (because giving consent once does not mean giving consent forever). I wanted them to be safe and comfortable. I wanted them to make an effort to communicate with each other. Also, I personally think the show has a detrimental attitude towards virginity, especially considering how much slut-shaming there is, the incident with Paris being only one example. Virginity, in my view, is just a social construct, but that's a conversation for another time.

In my AU, Jess does not pressure anyone into sex, and he never would. It's monumentally problematic of Gilmore Girls to brush off the incident in "Keg! Max!" the way it does, so I wanted to make sure I addressed it before any sex happened in this story. It's important to recognize problems in our favorite content and learn from them. So, I hope this chapter sends a better message about teenage sex and consent. And I hope I got my ideas across in this note. Please feel free to message me any time if you are going through something, want to talk, or anything else. I am always here. You can learn more about consent and find resources for sexual assault survivors at https://www.rainn.org/articles/what-is-consent.

.   .   .

Legs crossed, warming both her hands with the to-go cup of tea from Luke's, Ella listened intently as Lane gushed about Dave Rygalski. They sat in the gazebo, school bags forgotten on the old wood below them. Stars Hollow High was finally closed for fall break, a whole week off to celebrate Thanksgiving and prepare for the odd, torturous month until the sweet release of winter break as well. Lane was thinking out loud, trying to formulate a plan to get Dave to her house on Thanksgiving. Schemes involving classical Biblical guitar and stuffy outfits were being discussed when Rory finally arrived from the bus stop, binders in her hand and her Chilton skirt hitting her knees as she walked.

"Ah, if it isn't my favorite Catholic school girl!" Ella called as Rory ascended the steps.

Rory scoffed. "It wasn't funny two years ago, and it's not funny now."

"Humor is subjective."

"Not in this case. You've reached an objective lack of humor."

"Hey, not even Rory Gilmore can bend such universal rules," Ella shrugged, smirking. Rolling her eyes, Rory plopped down between her two friends and blew out a tired breath, a tight squeeze on the small bench.

"Man, that boyfriend of yours is a bad influence. The heightened snark makes the two of you such a sorry lot," Lane said.

Ella's wicked grin only widened. "The snark existed well before Jess came along. I think it's more my old age that's making me bitter." She paused, taking another sip. "Really Rory, I could paint your shoes. Your mom could hem your skirt. I think it's time to make waves in the antiquated dress code community."