The Empire: My Bliss.

Muhammed's POV.

Note: This chapter is a flashback!

It's been two years since Rabiatu married my brother and all because he apparently has more power than I do and one thing I am sure of is that she loves me, I hate the fact that I still have feelings for her but they're slowly fading away. I have not been home since I left on their wedding day.

"Let's go" Ade says when he enters my room.
"Go where? I have to study for a presentation"

"It's lame and disheartening to see you like this brother, you don't have to accompany me to their hostel, all I want is someone to accompany me to the school, that's it".

"I'm still not sure" I say pulling my duvet.
"You can check out the library"he suggests.

I know he was just saying it to get me to go but I needed some books anyway, it's like hitting two birds with one stone, next time I'll decline since I'm going this time.

"Okay, let's go" I get up.

::

"The library is over there. I'll call you when I'm done" I nod, he smiles and walks away.

The woman at the front desk asks for my ID card and I freeze. For us royalty our card is different, from the color to the shape, texture and even probably the paper, who knows.

"Sorry but you can't go in without your ID"
"But I can't use it here" I tell her. The last thing I want is my cover to be blown.

"Sir—You can only access the books when you show your ID".
I groan and bring it out, sliding it infront of her with a smirk on my face.

Her mouth drops open, she completely freezes.
"I still can't go in?" I ask smiling.

She just nods. "Thank you" I walk away.
Finally I got to the historical shelf, I've read most of the books because Baba says we need to know all our history.

"Are you picking all this?" I hear a girl's voice. I turn around and see two girls standing, one was carrying a load of books and still picking more while the other stood shocked.

I walk over "Need help?" I ask.
She smiles "Please. She's just standing there not helping" she says turning to look at her friend.

I set it on the table.
"Thank you" she smiles.

"You're welcome" I look at the books she's reading. Most of them are books my brothers and I were taught about Aleer history when we were 6years "History? You never learnt history?" I ask surprised.

"Yeah. Not proud though, I'm trying to make amends" She smiles again "Thanks"

That 'Thanks' isn't for thanking me, it's telling me to leave.
I smile and walk away.

As I get to the door the librarian hurries over.
"Hope you got what you wanted?"
"Keep what you saw a secret."

She smiles "Ofcourse".

::

After contemplating I finally pick the call.
"I honestly thought you wouldn't pick up. Are you avoiding me?"
"No, I wouldn't even if I could"

"Is it because I am now married to your brother? You know I was your cousin even before I became his wife, right?" Asmau asks.
"I know and it's sad to know I couldn't do anything about it"

"You know it was the last thing he promised my father before he died right? That his niece would marry his first born son"
"I wish it wasn't Ali"

"Anyway how have you been? And school?" She asks excitedly.
"It's okay. What has happened recently in our humble home?"

"Everything. Your brothers are still fighting about anything and everything, mothers are fighting, the Royal Court wants you back in the Palace and a lot more"

"Of course they want me back, they think I might have the chance of being king if I keep studying" I roll my eyes just thinking about it.
"Better you than my darling husband, he only has the name but that man is lacking in knowledge, wisdom and even common sense" she jokes.

"Becareful you never know who is listening in that god forsaken hell hole"
"I'll call you back, my mother in law is calling"

"About the whole heir thing, right?" I ask.
"That's all that woman cares about"

"Bye then. I'll call you tomorrow"
"Okay, bye"

She ends the call.

::

I walk out of the library holding only a book unlike what I intended.
It was a book on the First Battle of Aleer.

I raise my head and see her walking towards the library, she didn't notice me so I decided to approach her first.
"You're always here" I say.

She turns around and smiles "You too" she says back.
"Getting other books on your kingdom's history?"

"Yeah but it's time consuming" she replies.
"No one can tell you about it? Any friends?"

"Nah. No one really knows enough to answer all my questions, and the problem with reading is that—I have to read 3 to 4 books sometimes before they actually have the answer I am looking for".

"Then you're lucky, I'm sure there's no one in this whole school who knows as much of the history as I do" I say but she only smiles.

"Okay then, can you spare 15 minutes?"
After settling in the library her friend leaves.
"Okay—What do you want to know?"

"How did the people in the North know what the southerners where planning? Did they have a spy?"

"Of course. The southerners always talked about separating it. At that time most of the country's revenue came from the South, the oil, gold, diamonds. The North was famous for their coal, cocoa, agriculture and tin and compared to the south it was nothing. They decided they did not want to be a whole and they wanted their independence, when we disagreed they created a plan to over throw our king but the King got a whiff of it, we still don't know how but he got ready for them".

She smiles "Are you obsessed with Aleer's history? Are you a historian?"
I chuckle "I was taught the history since I was a child. But I'm more interested in their royal affairs".

"So you want to be one of the Kings Royal members? Obsessed with the Palace?" She asks sarcastically.

I laugh "The Palace isn't what it seems, if I had the chance I would choose never to have anything to do with it"

"So there are a few hidden feelings about the Palace, interesting. Anyway I should go"

"Can I get your number maybe? Incase you need someone to help you with histroy and all that boring stuff"
"Boring? It seems you're also interested in those 'Boring stuff' right?" She asks.

I shrug "Not really, I'm just a huge sports fan trying to avoid my destiny or shall I say my inevitable future. The boring stuff is actually not a choice in my household"

What I said seemed to peek her interest "Is your father a professor? Historian? Or is he a politician?"
I shake my head "Neither actually, but a professor sounds nice"

She smiles "It seems like you're intentionally hiding or shall I say avoiding talking about yourself. But it was nice talking to you" she says standing as she packs her books.

I stand "So I don't get that contact?"
"You are but I hate walking back to my dormitory alone"

I smile "Let's go then".

::