Safe Space pt. 1

Hermione slowly opened her eyes as things came into focus she gasped and held tighter to Draco. Sabrina was the first to let go, and tentatively walked over to a smiling Blaise. Reaching down and picking up the little girl who willingly went into his arms he greeted them. "Hello Hermione, Draco. And who are you my little sweet witch?" He smiled at Sabrina who smiled back and hid her eyes sheepishly. "That's Sabrina. She's one of my friends and happens to be the daughter of Hermione." Draco responded still holding on to the witch besides him. Blaise looked back at them questioningly and nodded. "Well she's beautiful." Hermione didn't know what to say. She opened her mouth to say something but the words were caught in her throat.

Draco somehow sensing the situation was making her uneasy whispered in her ear, "While I was waiting for you outside The Burrow I let Blaise know we were coming over." She looked up at him blushing at how close he was. Blaise chuckled at the display in front of him, "Come on, you must be hungry. Luna is cooking." This snapped Hermione out of the trance she was in and quickly separated herself from the man holding her. Draco's face looked upset and she shyly looked away embarrassed, "I'm sorry, force of habit." She took his hand and tugged him as she began to walk to catch up to the pair that had left. He smiled and followed her squeezing her hand in acknowledgement. 

"Little Bird, we have guests." Blaise called out as Luna hummed out a response and they continued down the long corridor to the kitchen. "Oh, Hermione it's you. I'm so glad you came. I'm making chicken and rice for dinner. Why don't you go ahead and get settled?" She looked beautiful in a dark blue summer dress and apron. She smiled and looked at the little witch in Blaise's arms and winked. "Rowena can share a room with Sabrina. Go ahead and pick a room." Hermione nodded and walked over to get her daughter from the tall Italian. She put her down and then began to walk hand in hand in the direction Luna pointed to. Once she was out of earshot Blaise looked to Draco and said, "She should stay in your room Draco." 

Waggling his eyebrows and gave him a cheeky smirk. Draco coughed and shook his head feeling a tinge in his cheeks, "Come off it Zabini, I'm not pushing her to do anything she doesn't want to do." He walked away as he heard snickering footsteps behind him. He went down the same hallway that both witches had gone through, Blaise not far from him called out, "Sabrina darling, why don't I call Rowena to come get you. She has toys in her room that you would love." Sabrina shook her head quickly and looked at both wizards eyes wide in fear. "I wanna stay with Draco and mother." Hermione sighed and walked over to her daughter.

"Come on Sabrina, there's nothing to be afraid of. Rowena is a very delightful girl just like you. Why don't we go and find her together?" She took her daughters hand and walked over to the staircase. Blaise quietly asked, "What happened to them Draco?" They could both hear Luna setting the table and humming. The warm fragrant air whirled around them and he sighed. "You shouldn't be questioning what is obvious Blaise." The Italian noticed his mates face and squeezed his shoulder. "I guess you really never know who is struggling to survive in life. Anyways you're right, it is none of my business. The most important thing is that we are open and available to her and that child, for as long as she needs us." Draco looked at the hand on his shoulder and then to his friend and nodded. 

"Hermione has helped us out so much this is the least we can do." Blaise ran his hand over the top of his head and smiled. "At least she isn't alone in this time of need." Suddenly Luna appeared behind both men. "She is always welcome as is Draco. Hermione may be a brave, strong and intelligent witch but she is only human. One's issues catch up to them when they least expect it. Dinner is almost ready make sure to round up the guests Blaise." Both men watched as the witch floated down the hallway. "She's right you know." Draco said quietly, "Hermione maybe the most brilliant witch out there but she is only human. If you want to know what happened you have to ask her. She will open up when she is ready." 

Blaise nodded, "Hey, I know that it has to be bad for you to have brought  them here. Stay as long as you want, you know this place is just as much mine as it is yours." He started walking to the staircase before he turned around and looked at him. "Just be careful Draco. Remember, she's married." Draco didn't look away and they stared at each other for a moment before he turned away and continued up the stairs. Footsteps receding in the distance, Draco stood there staring at the staircase. Hermione deserves better. Sabrina deserves better too. They both deserve to be loved and to feel protected. I can do it, I can be the one to make them feel that — "What am I saying, they both deserve the best, and it sure as hell isn't me." He whispered and ruffled his hair in frustration walking up the same steps. 

"Do you like this room?" Hermione asked Sabrina. "I don't know. I-I-Mother is it okay if I stay with the girl?" Smiling at her daughters question she nodded. "Of course my love, you can stay with Rowena. She is your age after all. Let's go find her." Tugging her hand they walked down the hall. The further they walked the longer the hall seemed to get. This place is kind of like Malloy Manor. The walls are brighter probably due to Luna's eccentric decorations, but there seems to be some darkness still. "Daddy put this on the bed. She can wear my night clothes too." They heard Rowena giggle four doors down.

"Okay I will, please remember that she is a little scared right now. Listen carefully Rowena, we will be her family from now on until she needs us to not be. You are gaining a new sister and you need to be nice." Blaise quietly spoke to his daughter. Does unky Dwaco like Her—Herm—that lady?" Blaise was silent. Hermione held her breath and suddenly she heard Draco speak. "Let's just say she's very beautiful and I am more happy when she is around." Rowena was quiet and then she started to cry. As the witches approached both men were frantically trying to get her to quiet down.

Standing there watching them fumble around was pretty amusing and Hermione couldn't help but laugh, suddenly they all looked at her faces red. She sobered up and asked, "Why are you crying little Rowena?" She just pouted and looked at Draco. "Did they make you sad?" Asked Sabrina and Rowena nodded. "Boys are mean. My daddy makes my mommy sad too." Hermione looked away and both men looked at one another uncomfortably. "Hey, why don't you go and pick out some pajamas so you can match together with Rowena, how about it little miss?" Suggested Draco. "Rowena is really happy that you are here and I know you too will be great friends."

Sabrina looked at Rowena who stopped crying and smiled at her. "Can we be friends?" Rowena looked at all the grown ups and then back at her and nodded. They held hands and walked to the bed and started to choose their pajamas. Hermione smiled at the two little witches and breathed a quiet, "Thank you." She turned and walked out the door. "She really must be messed up." Whispered Blaise. Draco just looked at the door, as Blaise spoke. "You should really go and talk to her, she must be needing to talk to someone. All that therapy and she must not have anyone to vent to." Draco just shook his head. "Her husband is a complete ass and she has no one because her best friends are his sister and his brother-in-law. She is too proud to ever let on about what is really happening."

Blaise shook his head in disappointment and nudged Draco toward the door. "Go on mate what are you waiting for?" Draco hesitated, gulped and sighed all in one. "Maybe, she needs to be alone." He quietly stated. Blaise looked at Draco and sighed. "The way I see it, you brought her here because you wanted her to be safe. I'm assuming she is being abused at home or am I wrong?" Draco hesitated confirming everything to Blaise. "You can't stand anyone who beats a woman especially after all that abuse you saw happen at home on the daily. Sabrina is just like you Dray. Imagine how much your mother would have killed to someone to talk about it with. Unfortunately for Cissy that didn't happen but, just the thought of having you by her side got her through it all." Draco was looking intently at his friend wondering where all this brilliance was coming from.

"That's what Hermione needs, she needs someone who understands everything that is going on and can help her through it. She's a strong witch and all but not everyone can do it on their own. Man up and go be with her, even if it's in silence, just show her you are here for her." Draco was bewildered. "You're right, I mean.." Blaise chuckled and nodded. "Get out of here already." Draco felt nervous but walked out the room. He kept on walking and found himself downstairs and in the foyer. Luna was sitting down in the chair next to the fireplace. "She really is stubborn isn't she?" Draco wasn't sure who she was talking to but assumed it was him since there was no one else in the room.

"That way." The starry witch pointed out the door towards the porch. "Remember, not everyone wants to talk about something so intimate as abuse in there home. Especially when it has to do with the person they loved once upon a time." Luna looked directly at him and Draco grimaced. "Just be you, not the Slytherin prince, or mommy's little snake. Simply be Draco, and she will be okay." He nodded and walked out.