Uncle Ralph

The loud noise in background wakes me up from slumber sleep. I try to ignore it, covering my head with a blanket.

The sound of traffic outside was loud, but this one, in particular, was closer.

I groan, and the sound stops.

I slowly open my eyes but getting blinded from the light, I close them fast.

Who opened the curtains?

I gave soft twirl against my eyes with fingers and open them; I pop myself on elbows and I look in the direction from where the sound was coming.

"Ralph?" I ask watching him through my sleepy eyes "What are you doing here" I say lifting myself in a kneeling position.

Getting aver of my surroundings, I am still in my apartment but it's much clearer. The table in front of me was empty with no evidence of food and used pottery.

I groan again, feeling ribs clench with every move. The last time I slept on this couch.

I rub my neck to reduce the pain.

"Here you go," he says handing me the glass of water, I take it from his hand and in my other hand, he drops a pill for pain.

"Thank you," I said putting the pill on my tongue and drink it with water.

He sits on the stool in front of me, waiting for me to finish.

Gulping to the end and take a breath; not realising how much I was thirsty; putting a glass on the now-empty desk.

Realising  Ralph cleaned it.

"Give it few minutes, and it will help," he says and I nod looking at shut off television on the wall.

"Talk to me, Nora," he pleads.

I avert my eyes toward the window, blinking away the tears that were threatening to fall.

He waits for few seconds and stands up "Go wash, you stink" he jokes to lighten my mood and he succeeds. The giggle slips from my mouth.

I look at him and he sternly looks at me "That is an order". I groan at his command and throw the blanket from my body standing on my those with my hands up, I stretch my body.

Ralph turns around towards the kitchen, finishing what he started.

I gather my pillow and blanket to leave it in my bedroom.

I fast gather my clothes, trying to ignore empty bed and wardrobe before I go to the bathroom to wash.

After twenty minutes I finish, feeling more fresh and relaxed. Putting on my glasses, not wanting to put my lens, I put them inside my mirror.

"Good," Ralph asks when he notices me getting to sit at the kitchen island.

"Yeah much better, thank you," I say with a smile feeling the energy flow through the body.

"Here I made you a coffee," he says handing me a cup of coffee.

I take a sip feeling the aroma enter my body I smile looking at Ralph.

"Sorry, but what are you doing here," I ask him. I know he has a spare key to my apartment, but how did he know that I wasn't all right.

"Yesterday after work I got a call" he explains, putting the last plate aside for breakfast

"I didn't have a number memorised, so I thought it was work," He says making himself comfortable on the chair.

"For my surprise, it was a feminine voice on the other side that introduced herself as Sarah White"