Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

     "Caleb," Gray spoke, "this is my father and our pack's alpha, Jax."

     There was no need for Gray to continue with the introductions. After watching us for months, it was impossible for his father to not already know who I was.

     "I would offer a handshake, but I doubt you would accept it."

     "You'd be correct," I agreed.

     Just like myself, Jax was an alpha. The title alone demanded respect between wolves, regardless of the blood that ran through our veins. But the limits of my respect would not extend any further than allowing him onto my territory and into my home, and listening to what he had to say.

     "The rest of your pack?" I looked at Gray.

     "They're somewhere safe," Jax responded before Gray could.

     Like I'm sure he expected, my eyes retreated back to him. But instead of giving him what he really wanted—submission—I gave him something else instead: a challenge. "Harrison, Stryder, and Tommy, will you do a quick perimeter check?"

     "Caleb," Gray quickly intervened, "he's telling the truth. It's only him and I here."

     "And we're just supposed to take his word for it?"

     "Take my word for it."

     The dynamics of their relationship—father and son or alpha and beta—probably prohibited Gray from offering any further explanation. But I could see the plead in his eyes for me to trust that what he said was the truth. It was the same look he had when he asked us to place Jennifer under our protection.

     Saying no more, with a final look at both of them, I turned around and walked inside of the house. Footsteps followed my lead as I made my way towards the library, where all of our pack meetings were held.

     We were half way there when, from behind, Jax spoke.

     "Your human is not here?"

     Even though he posed it as a question, something inside of me told me that he already knew the answer. And it was for that reason alone that I ignored him and continued walking.

     When we arrived at the library, I opened the door to allow them inside of the brightly lit room. Kane and Chase stayed behind with me while Jax and Gray entered, only to stop after walking no more than ten feet inside of the room. Once my deltas shuffled in after them, the three of us entered last.

     Walking towards the couch in the middle of the room, I gestured for the two to take a seat. Instead of looking to see if they accepted the offer or not, I walked past it and over to the desk at the other end of the room, my betas still close behind me. Turning and resting against it, I gave a quick sweep over my deltas as they moved into position to form a half circle barrier around the two pure bloods, who had taken my offer and were seated on the couch. My boys weren't too close to them that they invaded their space, but not too far away for the two to make themselves comfortable or believe that letting their guard down would be a good idea. Once we were all settled into the library, I wasted no time and addressed Jax.

     "First things first," I waited for his eyes to meet mine and then continued, "why did you agree to come here?"

     "My son asked," was his quick response.

     "Your son also told us that you and your pack were trying to leave town as quickly as possible. If that were the case, why turn around just to come back?"