Chapter 13 - Dawn

"What are we going to do about her? We need to get her out fast!"

"I know, I know! But we can't do anything without the leader's orders. She'll be furious if we attempt something without her knowing."

"But if we wait for too long, she'll try escaping. If she uses her powers, we all will be in trouble. I can't see her hurting anyone, especially innocent people! Please, Janet, can't we do something about her?"

"Have it your way then! But if something happens, you're going to be the one responsible. I'll just-"

"Shh, I think she's moving!"

The voices suddenly disappeared, faint footsteps approaching Dawn. She heard the sharp creak of a bed, her feet brushing against cold skin. Her body shot up from where it had been lying, stiffening from the nearby presence. She quickly opened her eyes but, to her surprise, saw only darkness. Her hand instinctively reached up to touch them, only meeting a tight cloth wrapped around her head. She swung her arm to her left, fist clenched.

"Ow!" someone cried, a groan leaving them.

"Janet, are you okay?" the other said, Dawn identifying it as the voice of a kid.

"Stupid tramp," the first one muttered, her voice low for a girl. "If it weren't for the leader's orders, I wouldn't hesitate to kill you right now. Your powers are no match to mine."

"Who are you?" Dawn said, pulling her arm back quickly. "And why have you blindfolded me?"

"The leader didn't want you knowing the path to our refuge," the little boy said, Dawn turning towards the direction of his voice. "But now that you're awake, we can finally leave!" He squealed, soft hands gripping Dawn's face suddenly. Before she could react, the cloth was smoothly pulled away from her eyes, the sudden light blinding her.

Dawn squinted for a second until her eyes finally adjusted to the light. She turned to look behind her, expecting to see someone. But the boy had scuttled away from her, rushing towards the girl standing to her left.

She was leaning against the wooden wall, one hand cupped around her eye. The other one was pinched shut, as though she was resisting the pain. The boy ran forward, a complete head shorter than her. "Let me take a look at that, Janet!" he cried, pulling at her arm. "I can cure it for you!"

The girl, Janet, just shook her head and pushed the boy away from her. "I'm fine, Ron," she snapped. "A bruised eye is nothing to fuss about. Let's just do what we were asked."

A look of hurt passed across his face as Dawn saw him nod shakily. He stared at Janet for a moment before turning back towards Dawn. "Um, h-hello," he stuttered, his gaze focused on the ceiling. "I-I'm Ronald and that's..."

"Janet," the girl interrupted, finally facing Dawn. "But you must already know that, being the sly eavesdropper that you are."

Dawn tried muffling her gasp but failed, the girl glaring icily at her. She could see the other eye clearly now but wished that she didn't have to. Blue and black lines were streaked around it, the eye itself puffy and red. Teardrops gleamed around the edges, one of them rolling down her face. Janet flicked it away with a finger, sweeping her auburn hair onto the injury.

Dawn opened her mouth to apologize but Janet and the boy's previous conversation surfaced to her mind, taking away any guilt feelings she had. She narrowed her eyes in suspicion, glancing at both of them in turn. "If being concerned for one's safety is considered as a crime then yes, I was eavesdropping," she said. "I'm honestly glad that I could defend myself from the people who captured me, and even managed to hurt one of you. But you look too young to have done this all by yourself. Who's your leader? And where on Esterwyn am I?"