Chapter 1 - Dawn

Dawn hated the man the moment she saw him.

He was smiling broadly, stormy gray eyes staring down at her with unconcealed curiosity. An emerald green tunic was wrapped around his body, the posh color a rare sight around here. His long brown hair had been neatly swept back in a ponytail, though some of the strands still curled down his face.

But the worst part? He was attractive, which in her book spelled only trouble.

"Hello," he said, his voice rich. "May I speak with your mother?"

Her hand curled around the doorknob tightened, as she kept staring at him. Her long, fair blonde hair fell down in her eyes, but she didn't push it back.

"Is your mother inside?" he asked again.

She said nothing. Her neck had started to hurt now from craning her head to look at the towering man. He's going to ask us for more raedos, I know it. Why don't they understand that we'll pay them later?

He blinked. He took a step back and peered at the wooden nameplate pinned to the rotting exterior of her hut. "This is the Willows' house, right?"

She said nothing again, now glaring at him.

Why isn't he leaving?

"Dawn!"

Someone whirled her around suddenly. Her mother was staring at her with wide eyes. She had knelt to her height, hands clutching her shoulders. "How many times have I told you to not open the door? And why were you simply standing there instead of calling me?"

He's come to steal our money! She almost said.

"I forgot," Dawn muttered.

"I don't want that happening again," she said sternly. "Now go back inside and let me speak with the man here."

Dawn reluctantly walked over to a chair in the corner, making sure to still be in earshot. "I'm sorry about my daughter's behavior," she heard her mother say to the man. "She just turned eight, too young to understand."

The man only smiled. "There is no need to, um..."

"Joan," she said, smiling. "Joan Willows."

"Of course! How could I forget that?" He laughed. "A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. You're even more beautiful than he said."

There was no mistaking the blush that appeared on her mother's face at his words. "Oh, your kind words are appreciated! But uh... who did?"

"Of right, forgive me! I should have introduced myself first." He cleared his throat. "I am Charles Dunham, Nicholas' childhood best friend. We used to be the best of friends, until I moved away to Langel. We still manage to mail each other though."

"I'm afraid though he hasn't told me anything about you," she said, twirling a lock of brown hair.

Charles made a sharp clicking sound with his tongue. "Ah, still the same as ever, I see? He has always been forgetful, that rascal!" He caught himself at the last word, smiling sheepishly. "Forgive me for my language. Anyway, may I meet him?"

Her mother frowned, and leant against the doorway. "I hate saying this but he isn't home. He's been rather preoccupied with his... job lately. I don't know myself when he shall be returning."

Charles sighed, shaking his head. "I was afraid of something like this happening, yet I came. I'm leaving for Langel tonight itself. Looks like I won't be meeting him."

"You've come here from Langel?" Her mother's eyes widened. "If you don't mind me asking, which route did you come from? The harbor or Faymere Forest?" Her voice dropped to a whisper at the latter.