Chapter 15: The Hunt Begins

After dinner, Genos and Masami were cleaning the dishes while the others were left in the living room doing whatever they want. While Genos was wiping the dishes with a cloth, a thought came across his mind as he glanced at Masami, who wore a plain black t-shirt and denim shorts and had her hair tied into a low ponytail.

"Masami-san." he called.

"Yes, Genos?" she responded, with her attention on a cooking pan, trying scrub off the food with a brush.

"How did you meet Saitama-sensei?" he asked.

Masami stopped scrubbing the pan and looked up as she tried to recall her encounter with the said man. "Let's see." she began. "It all started when I was looking around for a play to stay."

~Flashback start~

"Where should I go from here?" wondered a young teenager while looking around, seeming to be lost.

Few months had passed since the passing of her teacher who became the father she had missed dearly. His death left a void in her, as she found it hard to continue her life in the house they used to share, where they made fond memories over sparring, homecooked meals, and much wisdom. This house used to be a wonderful place where she could call home, but without his presence, she started to dread returning to there as she was constantly reminded of him. It may not have interfered her work as the famous Needle Lady, but she could bear to wake up and sleep shedding tears at the thought of him. Finally, enough was enough. She packed up her things and prepared to sell off the house as she began to look around for a place where she can start a new chapter in her life. Tying her hair into a simple braid, she put on a white shirt and denim skirt, along with a pair of white sneakers. With a bag carried around her shoulder, she began walking around to look out for any place that was for rent.

While she was on her hunt, she passed by an alley in a neighbourhood and saw some dead bodies on the ground. With a frown, she went closer to inspect the wounds on them to determine who the culprit was before going around to track the monster down. It took a while, but she finally spot a large humanoid whose upper body was that of a crab with large claws and a bright-red carapace. His lower body was that of a naked muscular man, and wore a pair of white briefs. He had two nostrils, a large mouth, and two eyestalks that protruded from the sides of his head, ending in large eyes with small pupils.

The monster stood in front of a little boy with big chin and grinned widely. "I found you!" he said menacingly. Just as Masami was about to step out from her hiding spot, a young man with short black hair and was in a business suit grabbed the boy before the giant claws could hit him. "Huh!"

"Kid, he's after you!" said the man urgently. "Get outta here! Don't worry about me. Just go!"

"B-But... my soccer ball..." trailed off the boy as he pointed at the ball, which was soon destroyed by the monster's foot.

"Hey, what's the big idea?" mocked the monster. "Don't tell me you're gonna protect that stinkin' brat!"

"Come on, you're gonna kill him over some harmless prank?" asked the man. "Think about this!"

"I've already mutilated lots of people." said the monster with a grin, to which Masami's brows furrowed as she finally found the culprit behind the dead bodies she found. "Whoever makes fun of the way I look pays the price. No exceptions. By the way, that brat drew nipples on my body! With a permanent marker! Look at these claws! I can't even use a towel to wipe it off!" He pointed at the young man with his claw and continued, "Get in my way, and I'll make sure you never go job hunting again!"