Chapter 8: The Deep Sea King

One afternoon, Masami, wearing a black summer dress and her hair tied into a messy bun, was in Saitama's kitchen stirring a big bowl of batter with some chopped ingredients inside while takoyaki grill pan was heating up on the stove. Just in time, she heard someone entering the apartment and turned to see Saitama, wearing his hero costume, bringing in a huge tentacle into the kitchen. "Oh, where did you get such a big one?" she questioned, blinking at it.

"There was a weird octopus monster in city, so I thought might as well get it for free than buying it from the supermarket." he said, placing the tentacle in the basin.

"Thanks, anyway!" she said as she turned around to wash the tentacle and chop it into smaller pieces to make takoyaki.

~Time skip~

After lunch, Genos helped with the dishes, and dried them with a warm breeze blasted from his palms, having to reduce its power. While waiting for them to dry, he whipped out his flip phone and checked their hero ranking. "Master, you have moved up to Rank 2 in Class C." he said proudly. "You are on the verge of entering Class B!"

"Class B, huh?" said Saitama, looking up from his manga. "That means I won't have anymore weekly hero quotas, right?"

"Yes." Suddenly, Genos' phone rang, and he picked up the call.

"Busy guy, huh?" muttered Saitama.

"It can't be helped with that sort of ranking and class, right?" said Masami, who was in a gray t-shirt and black pants, switching on the TV to watch the news.

"Master!" called Genos. "The monster you defeated on your way home the other day called itself one of the Seafolk, right?"

"I forget." was his reply.

"Several monsters calling themselves the Clan of Seafolk have appeared in City J and are attacking anyone in sight." said the newscaster.

"A Class A hero fighting them all alone and on the brink of defeat." added Genos, watching the live news of a hero fighting the monsters.

"His extreme fatigue and pain are apparent." added the newscaster. "A prompt response from the Hero Association is desperately needed. The threat level is Tiger. All citizens are asked to stay out of the area."

By then, the three of them were running towards the threatened city. "How much farther is City J?" asked Saitama.

"We are almost there." replied the cyborg. "But I am getting no readings. I will scout ahead. Once I have confirmed their location, I will let you know." With that, he speed off.

"Hey!" called Saitama, who was ignored by him.

"It's just the two of us again." said Masami, with her umbrella in her hand.

"Just like the good old days?" he asked, smirking at her.

She returned the smirk. "Maybe."

"This is an announcement from the Hero Association." blared the public speakers. "The threat level is Tiger. All citizens, please stay clear of the area." The two continued running for a few minutes until they heard, "Emergency evacuation warning. The threat level has raised from Tiger to Demon. All residents of City J, please evacuate immediately. I repeat. All residents of City J, please evacuate immediately."

"I wonder where could Genos have gone to?" wondered Masami, ignoring the warning like Saitama was.

"Beats me." he shrugged. Just then, he noticed from far there were few huge monsters in their way. "There are still monsters?"

When they got closer, the Seafolk noticed them and tried to attack while Masami gripped her umbrella hard. "I thought that hero Stinger wiped them out?" she asked, slashing the monsters multiple times until they were able to continue their journey, leaving behind the decapitated monsters.

As they continued to search through the empty city, rain started to pour. They slowed down and started walking around with Masami opening her umbrella to shield them from the rain while they continued looking for the cyborg. "Where'd he run off to?" wondered Saitama, who received a shrug from the woman.

Just then, they noticed a cyclist waiting at the traffic light. He was wearing a black leather suit under the brown armour covering his torso and shoulders and black gauntlets and knee pads. He also had a green bicycle helmet and dark-shaded goggles. "Wait..." he trailed off, recognising Saitama. "You're Class C, rank 2."

"You a hero, too?" questioned Saitama. "Have you seen Genos?"

"Genos?" repeated the cyclist, unfamiliar with the name.

"Saitama-kun, he wouldn't know who Genos is." said Masami, then looking at the cyclist with a smile as she introduced herself.

The cyclist started to blush, quickly looking elsewhere. "I'm Mumen Rider."

"Oh, you're first rank hero in Class C, right?" she asked, recognising him. "That's amazing!" Her praise only made his blush darken. "Anyway, we lost track of our friend, who went looking for the Seafolk. Do you know where they are?"

"Yes, I do!" he said. "I can take both of you there."

"Don't worry about that." assured Saitama, who then looked at the woman. "Masami-chan, go ride with this guy. I can run beside you."

"Okay." she said, sitting behind Mumen Rider, who blushed furiously, and held his waist with one hand for support while the other held the umbrella up. The hero started cycling to where the monster was located with Saitama running beside him. "Is this the way?"

"Yes, since residents are fleeing from this direction, we'll find monsters further up." he replied.

Suddenly, someone passed by them, only to be noticed by Saitama and Masami. They looked to where they went but couldn't find them. "Did you see a butt naked guy run past?" asked the former, much to Mumen Rider's confusion. "Maybe he was taking a bath and was left behind."

"Shall we go check on him?" asked Masami.

"Yeah, I think we should." said Saitama as his neighbour got down from the bicycle.

"Mumen Rider, we'll go check it out." she said as her and Saitama ran off. "Go on without us!"

"Got it!" he said.

The two then looked around for the naked man they noticed earlier but couldn't find him. "That's strange." muttered Saitama. "I'm pretty sure we saw him earlier."

"Me too." said Masami.

When they walked out of the building, they saw a flip phone ringing on the ground, left behind by the owner. Saitama walked over to it, picking it up and answered the call while Masami held the umbrella for him. "Mumen Rider?!" called the person from the other line, giving away his identity to Saitama. "What's your location? This is beyond you. The monster even took out a Class S hero! We need to assemble a subjugation squad."

"A Class S hero was defeated?" repeated Saitama, surprising the caller that the person on the other line wasn't Mumen Rider.

"Who is this?" he demanded. "Where's Mumen Rider?"

"Is this the Hero Association?" asked Saitama, surprising Masami.

"Yes." replied the man. "Who are you? Give me the owner of that cell phone right now!"

"This is the hero Saitama."