Jimin's anxiety: thalassophobia

Thalassophobia: fear of deep bodies of water

——

"Jimin-ah! Are you done packing?" An excited Hoseok yells from another room to his band member.

"Almost, hyung! I'll be ready in 5," he yells back. Jimin is not excited for this trip at all. His members know about his fear of the ocean, but not enough to know he's had panic attacks over it. He honestly doesn't want to go on this trip, but they have to. It's for a show and it would be bad to cancel now.

He finally finishes packing his basic necessities and goes outside to wait. He nervously bites at his fingers and closes his eyes. He tries not to think about the day ahead, but with his fear, he can't help but. He just hopes it'll go ok.

——

"I'm gonna be honest, I'm nervous about this one," Jimin breaks the comfortable silence in the car.

"It'll be ok, hyung! Just tell us if you're not feeling well!" Jungkook says reassuringly. He flashes a small smile before turning back to the window, leaving Jimin alone with his dark thoughts.

"Alright just a few more minutes, guys," Namjoon says from the passenger seat. He keeps glancing up from his phone to the road ahead, telling Seokjin where to turn and park.

Jimin's stomach drops as his heart begins to race and head head is already beginning to pound. He unintentionally bounces his leg and a hand stops it. He glances up to see Taehyung giving him a smile.

"It'll be alright, hyungie. We'll help you if something happens," The other members hear him say this and turn to take a look at the anxious male. They all give him reassuring comments relating to what's about to come. He nods only slightly and goes to get out of the car, wanting to get it over with. The others follow, catching up to him just to see the director and some staff coming along to make sure everyone is ok and looking well.

"Everyone knows what to do, right?" The director asks. Everyone nods, all but one eager to get on the boat. Jimin tries to swallow the big lump in his throat, hands already shaking as his breath is getting more erratic as each second passes. It doesn't work at all. His legs, which feel glued to the dock, carry him to the boat. He gets on next to Yoongi and Namjoon. Taehyung, Jungkook, Hoseok, and Jin are somewhat in front of them.

The boat starts to move and nausea almost immediately sets in. He knows he won't throw up, but it's the feeling like he's going to that's putting him on edge. He leans down and places his face in his hands. The smell of salt water is really making him feel sick. He runs his hands through his hair and glances up and around. Only dark blue is surrounding them, the shore getting farther and farther away.

Jimin can feel the tears, but he holds it in the best he can. At least he tries. They're supposed to jump in the water and swim around for the show. In no way in hell was he doing that. The boat slows to a stop and that's when he lets out a sob.

"Jimin-ah?" He hears Hoseok's voice. Gentle hands get put on his shoulders and back.

"G-guys I can't breathe... oh my god. I can't breathe," his head shoots up to look around, "fuck I can't breathe. I can't breathe! I can't breathe!"

"Hyung. Hyung!" Taehyung shouts as he takes Jimin's hands in his larger ones, "it's gonna be ok."

"Taehyung I can't breathe! I'm gonna die. Am I gonna die? Tae-ah I'm gonna die-"

"Hyung I promise you you're not gonna die. But can you look at me please? I need you to calm down," he says calmly. The other members are watching with sad, worried eyes. This is happening to their fellow band member. All of them have had at least one panic attack, but it's completely different watching someone have one and not knowing what to do. It's like Taehyung was the only one.

Jimin looks up to meet Taehyung's warm eyes.

"What are 5 things you can see, hyung?" Taehyung asks as he holds the male's hands.

"Umm... y-you, the boat, the other members, th-the staff, and th-the w-water," Jimin gasps as he says the last part.

"Don't focus on where we are, hyung. It's ok. You're ok. This will pass. Now what are 4 things you can touch?"

"Y-you," he breaks apart one of their hands to feel around, "the life jackets, the boat, and Hobi hyung."

"Good job! Now 3 things you can hear?"

"The birds, the wind, and the members,"

"Ok, good! 2 things you can smell?"

"Th-the air and your shampoo. 'S strawberry and really strong," he mumbles as he dries his tears with his free hand.

"Now 1 thing you can taste. Did you eat anything before we left?"

"I- I had coffee. I can taste the coffee," he says. Taehyung gives him a box smile.

"Are you a little bit calmer now, hyung?" He asks. Jimin nods his head a little, wiping the last few stray tears. Jimin goes in for a hug, usually getting vulnerable and clingy after tiring things like these. Taehyung greatly accepts the hug, wanting nothing more than to comfort the older.

"How about we drop you off at the shore, hm? There's some staff there and I didn't wanna get sunburn anyway," Taehyung says. Jimin nods, clinging to Taehyung more as he nuzzles his face into his neck. Taehyung switches their spots, sitting where Jimin was sitting so now he was on top of Taehyung. Neither boys did mind that, though. Taehyung just carded his fingers through the tired boy's hair and Jimin fell asleep on top of him, his arms wrapped around his neck.

Once they got to shore, a sleepy Jimin was carried to a chair and set down. Taehyung sat next to him and let the boy sleep. Taehyung saw him stirring some, reaching one of his hands out. Taehyung grabs his hand and holds it, making Jimin stop stirring. He chuckles slightly and smiles him. He rests his head back some, landing on Jimin's and Jimin rests his head on his shoulder. He falls asleep with him.

I was kinda going through Wattpad when I realized I literally starved you guys
It's a lil bit rusty but I hope you enjoyed after such a long wait! Hopefully there will be more to come! Stay safe, ily!
- Liam 💜