-7-

Astraea Grey

The loud chatter of the bakery filled my ears as Hayden and I walked through the doors. To say the least, it was packed. My eyes caught sight of some familiar faces from school. A couple of kids started grinning at Hayden and me. Their eyes flickered from Hayden and me due to the fact we weren't holding hands, or even acting like new couples as we walked in. We were back in our friend state.

"Astraea, thank goodness you came" My mother exclaimed behind the counter boxing treats up for an old man. "Hi Hayden. Are you staying to help".

He rubbed the back of his neck, I watched as his eyes glistened when he saw something. Well someone. Hazel was standing on line with her bestfriends. Her long red hair fell to her mid-back and her eyes crinkled as she laughed at what one of her friends just had said. "Y-yea".

I walked behind the counter placing a quick kiss on my mother's cheek. 

"How was school" My mother shot me a look before helping the next customer. I stood still for a second. Colton couldn't have told her.

"Uh intereseting". I mean it really was. 

"Hi Aelin" Hayden placed a kiss on her cheek before grabbing a  cupcake off the stands. My mom rolled her eyes. It was his everyday routine. And here I thought I was the fatass.

"You two go bring more of the cakes from the kitchen. And don't forget to wash you hands" My mother quickly added before turning to another customer.

"Hayden, let's go" I grumbled grabbing his hand as he was leaning over the counter just eating. I looked up at Hayden who happened to have a smirk plastered on his lips. His eyes glistened with amusement. Looking over my shoulder I saw the fiery red headed ,Hazel, sending daggers my way. "Alright lets go" I grumbled once again pulling Hayden's arm and walking through the back doors.

"Rae, did you see her face" He shuffled a laugh before grabbing a red velvet of the cooling rack. I nodded my head a smile playing on my lips as I walked over to the sink. "At this rate I might be with her by next week". As the words slipped out of his mouth, a pain in my chest occurred. My smile fell into a firm line.

"Uh-yeah" I looked at him giving him a small but a sad one. He didn't notice as he was too busy stuffing his face with cupcakes. I was honestly thankful though. "Stop eating cupcakes and wash your hands". He pushed by me and quickly washed his hands.

"You know" He paused as he started drying his hands. "We should kiss again. You know to make it seem like we did something." He looked at me as he awaited for an answer. "Because our lips will be swollen and we'll look flustered." He quickly added.

"No. How about you get a cup and suck on it. Then your lips will be swollen". I remarked as I put the pink apron on.

"Fine" He sounded defeated. He grabbed the cupcake tray and walked back out to the front.

What's wrong with him. I thought as I too grabbed the tray of cupcakes. I walked out the kitchen and I was once again hearing the chatter of the bakery. Little kids were pointing at the glasses that showcased the treats, begging their parents for specific treats.

"Astraea, take over the counter I have to take a call" My mom grabbed the tray off my hands, "Hayden, put these on display too". She handed him the tray, then lightly pushed me over to the counter.

I held back the eye roll and comment that was on the verge of coming out. I hated counter duty, and my mom knew it. "Hi how may I help you" I looked up from the counter and locked eyes with Hazel. I mentally yelled at the Gods for putting my in this situation.

She looked at me bitterly, her friends snickering behind her. I wanted to insult every single one of them but I just bit my tongue. I couldn't embarrassed my mom in her own shop. "Can I get a red velvet milkshake" she paused before turning to her friends "And three chocolate cupcakes".

I forced a smile onto my lips "Sure". I turned on my heel and walked over preparing her stupid mother fucking drink. Knowing how to make the drink as I tended to make it for my friends and I all the time, I didn't bothering looking at the recipe book my mom kept whenever she had help from my brother or me. "Hayden can I get a stupid red velvet cupcake" I called over my shoulder as I started drizzling the inside of the bar mason jar with chocolate syrup.

He walked over dumping the cupcake into the blender, and pressed the button. I watched as the veins on his arms were popping out. I bit my bottom lip. Why did I have to find big hands, and veins attractive?

"Rae" I felt Hayden's minty breath hit my neck and fill my nostrils. I inhaled his scent before looking up at him. "Are you okay? You were kinda just standing there and staring".

Shit.

" Yes. I'm doing perfectly fine. Better than ever actually" I gave him a smile as I took the blender and poured the milkshake into the jar. I topped it off with some cream and red velvet crumbs. Grabbing a red straw, I dropped it in. I examined the drink. I wasn't even trying and it still came out nice. I should've had Hayden do it. Then maybe it would've looked horrible.

I walked over to where the cupcakes were and placed them into a white box. As I closed the box, I looked around to see if anyone was staring and shook the box. That was the least I could do.

"Here" I slid the box over the counter and handed her, her milkshake. She gave me a sly smirk as she looked over at Hayden. I too turned around and saw him on his phone. Nothing special. 

"This tastes like shit. I want a new one". I turned my head back around to Hazel. She still had her smirk on her face but this time she was looking right at me. In a spit second she leaned over the counter and poured the drink on top of my head. "Stay away from Hayden" She whispered. A couple of gasps escaped onlookers mouth. Me being one of them. The only snickering came from Hazel and her bratz. 

I wiped the liquid off my eyes, glaring at Hazel who still had the stupid smirk on her face. "You little" I lunged over the counter but got forcibly pulled back into a hard chest. I already knew it was Hayden. "Let me go" I said as I struggled in his grasp. His hold on me only tighten.

"Rae, just calm down"

"Calm down that bitch poured her drink on me!" I shouted forgetting where we were. At this point my mind was on getting away from Hayden and giving that Heather-whatever her damn name is a good lesson. She clearly forgot who she was messing with that was for sure. 

"Hazel you should leave". Hayden looked up from my struggling figure to the red head, who was still smirking at what she caused. I swear if Hayden could just let me go.

"Hayden, please just let me go. I promise I wont do anything" I mustered up a huge fake smile as I looked at him. He looked down at me giving me a 'yeah right'.

"Bye bye Astraea. By the way red is totally not your color". She spun around and walked off.

I opened my mouth but Hayden goddamn hand clamped over it. I shot a glare his way. He slowly took his hand away still looking at me. His grip was loosening to. "Your ex is a bitch". I stated as I removed myself from his arms. He didn't even respond, just walked towards the counter.

"Astraea, what in the gods name happened to you". My mother eyes widened as she took in my appearance. The red milkshake was dripping from my head to the fall.

"Nothing I'm going home" I remarked as took my apron off handing it to her. "See you at dinner". I placed a kiss on her forehead before grabbing my bag that was behind the counter. I felt Hayden's body stiffen as I was close to him. But he didn't say anything.

Why was he mad at me?