Chimes of the Past

This guy's a Knight? But how? It's not possible! It can't be! And he's a Knight of Fairy Tail Academy... How am I suppose to believe that? Knights are extremely rare, it wouldn't make sense that one would actually save me. And students have to take exams to get into this Academy, and an even harder one to be a Knight, so if he's a student here, he must've been ranked an ordinary wizard like myself once before. And he doesn't look much older than I do, so I should know about him, I know every student who passed the exam to become a Knight since the second year I was a student here. Of course, I've never seen them again since, but still!

I know this guy is lying. Just who is he? And what does he want with me? The gentle breeze of the night blew past us, his hair and mine batting against our faces. He smiled at me, sweetly like the beginning of the night: genuine. Or so it appears. I just glare up at him, a hand on my keys. In an almost slow motion he closes his eyes happily and tilts his head to the side like a little kid, and in a gust of wind, he's gone. And so are my keys.

Startled, I end up freezing in place, standing tall and stiff. Only staring at the spot where he was standing, I start to panic. I breathe in and out, shaking and uneven. It hurts to breathe. Without my keys I'm nothing! I can't fight. I'm weak. I'm nothing more than a pathetic little girl. Please let this be a dream... please let this be a dream. I shut my eyes tight, hoping that when I open my eyes, I'll be in my comfortable bed with my keys at my side, waking up in the middle of the afternoon, and not the middle of the night. But when I open my eyes, it's the same scenery. This isn't a dream. It's real...

My heart starts pounding against my chest, my skin obviously going pale and sweat trickling down my neck. Where is he? Where did he take my keys? I take a step back, and a few more until I step on a bump, and fall back, only to land in something soft-ish and warm, pulling me back to my feet.

"A spirit wizard, huh?" that same voice says from behind me. I jump away from him and stare at him. Then I hear clinking and look down at the source. He's twirling my key chain around. I gasp, watching the keys twirl round and round, tapping against each other to make a chime like sound. Like wind chimes hanging out on the porch.

*cling cling*

Dammit, I hate that sound so much. It reminds me of what happened back then. The blood. The pain. All of it. Why... why did that have to happen, why? But that's the reason why I became so determined to be a wizard, no, to be a Knight, so that one day... I can get my revenge.

There are footsteps coming from in front of me. It seems that while I was thinking, I looked away without realizing. Then I feel a hand under my chin. The same gentle hand as a few minutes ago. It pulls my chin up so I stare straight into the Knight's dark eyes, concerned and sad. "What's wrong?" he asks in a smooth voice.

"Give me my keys-"

"That's not it," he interrupts, making me look slightly higher up on my own will. I look up giving him a serious, but questioning look. "That's not why you're upset, I can tell. Something's bothering you."

Slapping away his hand with the back of mine, I scoff at him in annoyance, "You're the one irritating me, now give me my keys." His hands in his pockets, he takes a step back and sighs. Closing his eyes and lowering his head.

"I can't do that," he says finally, while looking up at me. I clench my fists and my teeth as I glare up at him.

"Why... Not?" I growl, getting more angry by the second.

"'Cause I already gave them back." Shocked, it takes me a moment to realize that there really is something hanging by my waist. Instictively placing my hand there, I feel cold metal and the shape of key on my fingertips, but that only reassures me a bit. My breathing now steadier, I keep glaring up at him, but my fists unclenched as well as my teeth. "So you see," he begins, "While you were in your little frozen rage state, I decided to give them back. I just wanted to see them."