"Where are you taking me?"

The agent catches Atlas's gaze in the rear view. "Why are you seven hours away from home again?" she shoots back.

"Thought a vacation to stinky ole' Georgia would be perfect. Rolling in mud with the pigs and cows."

Navy rolls her eyes. "Very funny."

The juvenile scoffs. "My name's Atlas for a reason. I'll always find my way back home."

Slowly, Navy nods her head. She keeps her eyes on the sudden heavy traffic as they pass through Atlanta. "Your mom's sick. No matter how much running you do, you won't be able to escape that."

Atlas gulps. But she doesn't quite want to swallow such a heavy pill yet. "Daddy says not to lose hope. That it's all we have left."

Sighing, Navy shakes her head. "Pretty soon, you'll be all he has left."

Atlas Grant tunes out the radio and plays her own little song in her head. "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine . . ."

A common lullaby sung between mother and child, but it's different to Atlas. It's hers. She loves her mother so much and she'll be damned if she lets her slip away without a fight.

"I'm not gonna stop," Atlas alludes.

Navy sighs. "Yeah, I figured you'd say that. That's why I can't let you off the hook this time."

Atlas's brows shoot up. "Huh?"

"You're going to juvie, for good, this time. I can't keep sweet-talking the higher powers into only giving you a couple of months."

"B-but―" Atlas sticks out her lower lip "―that's our whole schtick! You're the only one who listens to me!" She starts banging her hands on the bars that separate her from the agent. "Since when was it a crime to try and get some medicine for your dying mom?"

"Since you snuck in and stole. For the seventh time, I might add."

"Didn't even know you could count that high."

"And you attempted to steal money from a local cash register."

"It was a plastic gun, if we're being fair."

"There's nothing fair about threatening someone's life."

"There's nothing fair about letting my mom die just because we can't pay. No one is willing to help her in Richmond," Atlas cracks out, on the verge of tears. She feels her heart pounding in her chest. She can't be taken away. Not now. Not when her mom is on the verge of her last breath. "You were my last chance."

Frustrated and fighting an internal battle with her morals, Navy grunts. "C'mon, kid, don't blame me for trying to―for once―actually do my job when it comes to you." She sighs heavily when there's no response. "Hey, I know why you always come here, to Georgia," she says. Atlas stares at her, waiting for some dumb response. "Because I keep letting it happen. I keep letting you steal the medicine to give to your mom. I keep letting you take money to try and pay for the bills. I keep folding like a house of cards. But I can't keep it up or else I'll lose my job."

"And my mom will lose her life!" Atlas yelps. The woman sitting in front of her has always been kind and understanding, and Atlas can't believe she's now decided to turn on her.

Navy doesn't bend. Not this time. "I know of your mom's condition. The entire force does. And we also know that . . ." Her words run dry. How is she supposed to tell a child the bitter truth of inevitable death? Especially when it's her mother? "You . . . You keep hoping. But don't drag me into it anymore."