Chapter Nineteen

BLACK SMOKE CHOKED ME.

I watched, sprawled on my hands and knees as fire engulfed the house from all sides. The flames burned a deep red and amber, almost livid purple. They swirled up into the air, licking the wind and flickering from left to right. The nascent fire played amid the kindling like a child with a new toy, its flames leapt in excitement, its quiet crackling like giggling in the woods..

A scream ripped from my throat when the windows cracked and splintered as the devilish and greedy flames engulfed everything in sight; sparing nothing. A plume of fire exploded into the blackness, the flame rolling outwards like the smoke of a mushroom cloud. There was a agonizing screech from deep within that forced its way from my mouth, as if my terrified soul had unleashed a demon.

I scrambled to my feet, making a dash towards the burning house. I ignored the screams behind me, telling me to stop. As soon as I neared the burning house, I inhaled the smokey scent, blinking rapidly as the ash stung at my eyes.

"Mom!" I yelled, doubling over to splutter. The heat licked at my skin, slowing peeling it away. Pain seared through my entire body, more than a branding iron.

"Mom!" I pushed through the billowing black smoke, desperately coughing into my arm.

Pain seared through my body, hurting more than a branding iron. It wasn't sharp like a needle point or a knife; it burned around my innards like boiling water was doused over me. My mind screamed out as the pain drove through my back. Every thought I just had became confused as the scorching fire licked up my back.

Hot tears streamed down my cheeks, blurring my vision. I could hear people screaming and shouting for me to come back but the desperation to find my Mother numbed away the noise.

"Trevor!"

Mother's piercing scream ripped through the burning house. I fell back on my hands when she appeared in front of me, the flames licking at her skin like ice-cream. Large patches of her skin were ripped apart, bubbling red to reveal her flesh underneath. Where there had been smooth skin, was now torn muscle and blood, as raw as any carcass. The fire danced around her, curling and nipping at her body.

"Why didn't you help me, son?" She whimpered. "Why did you leave me to die here?"

I shook my head fervently, "I didn't want you to die!" I sobbed. "I swear!"

The nausea clawed at my throat, and I tried to force down the bile, but it was too late. Chunks of partially digested food spewed out of my coughing, choking mouth. My stomach kept on contracting violently and forcing everything up and out. My face was white and dripping bile, sweat, and tears. I lurched forward and sunk to my knees. The pungent stench invaded my  nostrils and I heaved even though there was nothing left to go.

"I'm sorry," I blubbered, sobbing into my hands and the tears dripped between my fingers.

"It's all your fault," Her voice whispered in my ear. Blood gushed out of her mouth like a wave hitting the shore.

Flames nipped and bit at my skin like small insects, creeping over my entire body. Blood-curdling screeches were leaving my lips but no-one seemed to be able to hear me. When something wet and sticky touched my face, I looked down to see my hands slicked with blood. It flowed thickly over my fingers, and my hands started trembling violently as I desperately tried to wipe it off.

"No. . . Get off. . ."  I covered my hands over my ears, rocking myself back and forth. "S-Stop!"

"Why didn't you save me?" She demanded, her voice rising into a scream. "Didn't you love me?"