Part Two: Chapter Sixteen

───── ・ 。゚☆: *..* :☆゚.─────

once a snake

always a snake

───── ・ 。゚☆: *..* :☆゚.─────

NOAH WAS HERE.

It was past midnight -- the moon was high in the sky and the chirping sound of crickets was the only sound in the night. A chilly breeze swept through my hair, tangling my hair in a mane. On me were a pair of elephant pyjamas and slippers that were too big for my feet. Sleep clouded my eyes as I shuffled out into the driveway, making sure to shut the door as quietly as I could behind me.

"Noah?" I croaked, rubbing my eyes.

And there he was. In his dark jeans and plain t-shirt, he looked almost ethereal under the silver moonlight. With his hands stuffed inside his pockets and a charming smile on his lips, he stumbled a little closer.

"Hey Nat," he murmured, his voice low and sultry.

His eyes immediately glanced over my outfit, barely stifling his laugh. My heart tugged a little at the intensity of his gaze and I pursed my lips, crossing my arms over my chest. Then, he flicked his eyes back up to mine, but I didn't miss the way the edges of his lips curled up.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I groaned and peeked down at my watch, "It's past midnight."

"I wanted to come see you," he shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal.

"You know that day time is an acceptable time to call or visit?" I sighed, "Not at this hour. It's late."

"Come on, who goes to sleep this early on a weekend?" he laughed my remark off, "Don't you remember how we used to sneak out at this hour before?"

Living so close to me, Noah and I used to arrange a time where we would sneak out and meet at the back of his house - and we would just lie on the rooftop, staring up at the stars in the night sky while chatting our hearts out. But gone were those days, replaced by a lengthening distance between us.

He held up a small bag of chocolates as an offering, "You up for another date?"

A hopeful smile was plastered on his face, but something swirled in my stomach, nagging me.

"I don't know Noah. . ." I trailed off and glanced back at my house. My parents were conked out on the couch, cuddled together under a mountain of warm blankets and they probably wouldn't have known if they were to be robbed right now.

"Come on," he coaxed when he noticed my hesitant expression, "I promise it'll be fun. It'll be like the old days, hm?"

"I have to get up early," I winced, "If I had known you were coming over, I would have slept a little during the day."

Peering closer at him, I noticed his face looked a little stiff - as if he was struggling to keep his cheerful smile on. I could tell when Noah was faking his emotions, or the way he was truly feeling, and with the way he was staring directly at me left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"You know I'd stand out here all night to wait for you. Even if it was pouring rain." Noah hummed.

Something wasn't right here - his face was shadowed by the darkness of the night, eliciting an eerie glow around him, but not in the way I had seen Travis'. Noah's was darker, more sinister. Rolling my bottom lip between my teeth, I wondered if I was blowing things out of proportion.

Deciding to play off the seriousness of his words, I rolled my eyes and pretended to chuckle, "I would never ask you to do that."

With his slit-like eyes, his voice turned bitter for a brief moment when he spoke.