8

"I'm not telling you anything, you bitch." He snarled at her, his accent heavily coated with Portuguese. For the past fifteen minutes I'd been here trying to make the captive talk.

Blood dripped from his head and arms and coevref the metal chair he sat on. It looked like he was close to dying.

"Mas você fará se eu fizer uma pequena visita à sua família. (But you will if I paid a little visit to your family)" i spoke.

The mans eyes widened, and I nodded my head to confirm my statement.

"What did she say?" Gianni asked my uncle.

"I threatened to pay a visit to his family if he doesn't speak." I said, knowing that my uncle doesn't speak Portuguese. Growing up I had a lot of time on my hands, so I tried my hardest to learn other languages in hopes of it helping me one day.

"Estou perguntando para quem você trabalha? (I'm asking you, who do you work for?)" i asked again. I took a large knife and pressed it against his chest, intending to pierce it. He nodded his head in refusal and screamed as I dug my knife deeper into his chest.

Don't be surprised. The mafia isn't sunshine and rainbows. There's torture involved. Pain. And demented people.

It's real, and the people who get caught up with the mob see things they can never unsee. Its a trap you can never escape.

Every time you close your eyes, you can see just everything you've done. All the terrible things you've done to people.

But this is how it is.

*********************************************

"Children." My uncle calls us from the kitchen as we leave the living room.

Me, Jett and Irina take a seat at the kitchen island as my uncle drinks a coffee. "I have some important news. We're going on a cruise." He casually says as the three of us look at each other to process the information.

"A cruise? Aren't we too 'mafia-gangster' for that?" I make quotation marks with my fingers and widen my eyes. Our life is away from the public eye, and although we have all of the money we could ever need, we would never stay on a floating public parade just for fun.

"We're going for a mission." He continued as we all exhale our breaths as if we were holding them for a while.

"You scared me dad, I thought we were going to have to act like a 'normal' family and actually spend time with each other." Jett joked as me and Irina laugh and nod our heads in agreement.

"We are." He took a sip of coffee as our faces twisted in confusion again. "We're going to pose as a normal family in order to get onto the cruise. Giovanni Mancini is the owner of the cruise, and we need to get some intel about him. He is the underboss of the Mexican mafia, who have been stealing our shipments. They don't know what we look like, so we're going to spy on him and get the information we need in order to overthrow him without starting a war."

"Okay, where does he live?" Irina asked.

"He'll be on the cruise for 2 months." My uncle stood up and placed his cup on the counter. "Oh and another thing, we'll be going with the Romanos."

We all complained as my uncle rolled his eyes at us.

"What?" I asked as Irina groaned in frustration. "Anything else uncle." I said sarcastically, crossing my arms in irritation.

"Ariel, you'll be posing with Ricardo as newly weds."