3

Melissa drops me at around 2 a.m and as I climb the stairs to my second floor apartment, it dawns on me that I will be sleeping in tomorrow and skipping church. The after party had an enthusiastic crew and I danced till my feet hurt.

When I open the door, I see the stack of essays on my coffee table and I am tempted to call a former student to help me grade them at a fee. However, even in my drunken stupor, I know I have to do the job myself this time.

My thoughts wander treacherously to a forbidden territory; Mark.

It began when one of the lecturers, Diana, was taking a maternity leave at the beginning of the semester. Apparently, the faculty was understaffed and the School of Business chairman summoned me one morning when I was refilling my coffee cup. I joined him in his office, wondering if I was in trouble or something.

"Professor," I said shaking his hand.

"Have a seat, Salina," he said.

"Thank you." I pulled a chair and placed my cup on the table.

"How are you, Salina?"

"I am fine, professor. How are you?

"Oh come on, how long have I been reminding you people that we are colleagues? I insist you call me Henry," he said and scratched his balding head with a pen.

He is normally an easy guy but can scare the shit out of you when for some reason, your class performs poorly.

"I don't want to take much of your time so Ill go straight to the point. It came to my attention that we have a shortage of full time lecturers. Diana is on maternity leave and just this morning, Lucy phoned me to say she got a better offer at Makerere. I want you to take over Lucy's classes while we look for a replacement."

"What?"

To say it took me by a surprise is an understatement. I had been teaching in the university for only two years and recently became a full time lecturer and he was suggesting I take classes taught by more experienced lecturers and preferably PhD holders? I only had a bachelors for crying out loud. And maybe an impressive CV after working for a high profile NGO throughout college and shortly after.

"Yes, that's right.You are one of the best lecturers we have and I see it fit that you start tutoring the part time Masters and PhD classes," he insisted.

"Are you sure there isn't someone else fit for this job?" I pressed.

"It was not a split of the moment decision. Trust me and trust yourself."
He gave me a kind smile. "You have the best reviews from students so far."

I exhaled deeply and nodded. "It's an honor. Thank you."

"Yes, do your absolute best. It will look good on your resume if you plan on soaring higher in the teaching profession," Henry said readjusting his tie. "Now, get out of my office before we give the secretary something to gossip about. The official timetable will be out today."

I let out a low chuckle and closed the door on my way out
.
The following week when classes resumed officially, I had my first class on Monday at six p.m, the only unit for undergraduate level I had for that semester in my timetable. I was supposed to teach the juniors Financial Management and I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped into the classroom occupied by only seven students.

Most of them were my age some older than me. I was used to lecturing more than two hundred students and this was a refreshing change. In a bid to forge a friendly atmosphere between the students and me, as usually is my style, I suggested that each one of them say their names and mention an interesting fact about themselves.

They did not disappoint.

I had a painter, a wedding planner, a musician, and a former chef in my class. One said he was an ex military soldier while another said she dropped out of law school and decided to pursue her real passion and we laughed.