Chapter 2

The rays of the sun were scorching hot that the radiating heatwaves were already visible on the road ahead of us

The rays of the sun were scorching hot that the radiating heatwaves were already visible on the road ahead of us. My mouth was parched, dry as the Sahara desert but we kept on walking as a huge amount of sweat was flowing down my body making my shirt soaking wet. We're not even there yet, Hunter told me that it's only a thirty minutes walk but it feels like we've been walking for hours.

I have these horrifying images flashing inside my head, those scenes happened earlier. I can still hear those screams and terrifying growls playing inside my head over and over again. We tried to call the police or an ambulance but no one is answering at all.

"You asked me earlier if I was bitten or not. Why?" I asked staring at Hunter as I remembered another scene from earlier.

He looked at me with his exhausted face and took a deep sigh. "After you saved me from the bus driver who attacked me, I saw a woman. It was one of the passengers on the bus. She was covered in blood and she has a bite mark on her face. She was acting weird and growling like crazy and the moment she saw the little boy crying on the corner, he immediately attacked the little boy making him scream in pain splattering blood all around. I was about to save the little boy but another man came first and hit the crazy woman on her head with a plank of wood or something. But after that, the little boy, his body started shaking like having seizures. The man was trying to check if the little boy was okay but all of a sudden, purple veins were starting to bulge out of the little boy's skin and viciously attacked the man who helped him."

Hunter stopped talking but we continued to walk quietly. I don't know but... I think I get what he's trying to say.

"I'm not an expert or what... but based on what I've observed earlier, that med student went crazy after he got bitten by that wounded man and then the same thing happened to everyone," Hunter said who looks like he still can't believe what happened. Well, I still can't believe it either, it was so surreal, "that wounded man must be carrying some kind of a disease or something."

"Disease?" I asked completely puzzled.

"Yes, it's not normal for a person to behave like that, not unless you're sick or crazy. And based on my observation, if you're not devoured to your death and you got bitten by those people... sick people to be precise, I think you'll turn into one of them."

He stopped talking and I never bothered asking any more questions. It's making my head hurt trying to sink in everything that he just said. Hunter is great at observing things but I still can't believe that this is happening.

"Ugh, I should've brought my backpack with me," Hunter groaned with full of dismay as he wiped the sweat on his face with his shirt.

"Are we there yet?" I asked panting softly.

"See those smoke up there?" Hunter pointed at the sky and there I saw some thick black smoke rising above the clouds and I think it's not so far from where we are right now, "it's coming from the town of Sirecester," he added.