Chapter 24

AN: Extra long chapter because of the wait (it should probably be split in two but that would mess up some things so it won't), I love all of you!

"So what are we doing today?" Awa asked Atxa as they stood at the edge of the forest with a couple of other hunters, including Tsu'tey who she hadn't been able to keep her eyes off. Not that he acknowledged her, in fact he hadn't even looked her way once since she and her mentor got there.

"If you stopped staring at Tsu'tey you would know" Atxa bit back, which earned him a blush from Awa who immediately looked away from said Na'i, and chuckles from the other hunters who overheard the words.

The group of hunters stood just before the small trail leading them through the thick forest opening and into the dark unknown. Tall grass hid a large part of the forest floor from their vision and shielded anything that may await them once they step inside. The archery lane used by children not old enough to train in the forest was empty and the lack of voices from the other clan members made the silence thick and heavy in the air. The patch of grass just before the beginning of the trail was yellow and dead but the surrounding grass was green and healthy. The furthest into the forest Awa could see was the hint of something neon purple a few meters away, it looked like a big plant or one of those mushrooms she still hadn't learnt the name of.

As soon as Awa woke in her body that morning she was dragged out of her hammock and down the long spiral stairs that led to the eating hall. There Atxa had forced her to eat a small breakfast and then he dragged her to where they stood now, and had been standing for hours. She had no idea why they were there and had probably missed it during her staring at Tsu'tey. Somehow he looked better now than last time she saw him, his hair was more carefully braided, his clothes cleaner and more vibrant and his posture straight, confident and proud. She briefly entertained the thought that something had changed in his mind about her and it was all for her, but she quickly shot it down because he hadn't once looked in her direction since she got there.

Awa cleared her throat once to get Atxa's attention before speaking. "So what exactly are we doing here?" Her eyes was just barely staying open and her speech was slow and lazy.

"Hunting, of course, as I've already told you before" Atxa murmured down to her, his voice so quiet she had to strain her ears to hear it. It was as if he was afraid to break the tense silence that enveloped them like a thick blanket, threatening to suffocate them at any moment. "Only a small animal, though, for food. Don't worry, Awa"

"I always worry" Awa shot back, her voice matching the whisper in his. Her tail briefly swung before it stilled again, a small sign of her growing displeasure with the situation.

She noticed a moment in the corner of her eye and turned her head around to find Tsu'tey already looking at her. His eyes narrowed, but not quite into slits, and his body language was closed off. She couldn't read anything off him which made her uncomfortable and hesitant. She had come to rely on body language to understand the social interactions she had, and how to properly communicate with the Na'vi. She had become so dependant on it that her human interaction skills had started to drop because of neglect. As time passed she grew more and more passive in her conversations with her fellow humans and was just generally not interested. Though Quaritch still hadn't let up with his abuse, if only he grew worse with time. She still hadn't told Atxa about it and didn't plan to anytime soon, Awa didn't need to make it even more complicated than it already is.

His eyes softened slightly as he stared at her but then they hardened just as fast as they had softened. Tsu'tey looked away and to the front again but this time there was a slight falter in his previously rod straight back, almost unnoticeable unless you knew it was there. She knew it was there.