Prologue

My eyes were adjusting to the dim light of the alleyway as I saw a girl sitting on the ground. Her arms were wrapped around her legs and she was shaking, her blonde hair a curtain around her face.

            "Hey," I muttered, almost in a hiss, "Are you ok?" I didn't get a response so I moved closer to her, only a few meters from her. I ducked down in front of her and let my ripped up and worn knap sack fall onto the damp ground.

            I heard her mutter something and I frowned, trying to make out what she was saying. I pushed some of her hair behind her ear and frowned when I saw the girl's face.

            She couldn't have been a day over fourteen. Her pale lips were pursed into a thin line and her eyes were squeezed shut.

            "Hey, do you want some food?" I asked, fishing through my bag for a granola bar. When I looked back up I saw the girls eyes were open. They were a startling gray and wide, like some might describe as Bambi-like.

            "Yes please," she muttered in a scratchy and meek voice. I smiled and handed her the bar and she smiled, unwrapping it and eating it in small bits.

            I could tell the girl hasn't been alone for long. Her clothes were to nice and intact for that to the true. Also she doesn't have anything with her besides a nice, blue backpack seated besides her.

            I had, along with my beaten up back, a blanket draped across my shoulder and a wallet tucked in my boots. I couldn't afford to pack heavy, but I had more than a backpack that I'm almost certain was filled with pointless objects.

            "Thank you," the girl said, her chapped lips breaking into a smile, "I ran out of food yesterday."

            "It's not problem," I replied, giving as warm of a smile I could manage as I laid the blanket around the girls shoulders. "Do you mind if I stay here for the night?" I asked, and she nodded almost immediately.

            "I'm Forest," I said with a smile, extending my hand as I sat with my legs crossed in front of the girl.

            "Like Forest Gump?" She asked with a laugh and I nodded, I'd seen that film a lot when I was still in Foster Care, especially the Miller family, they loved that movie.

            "Only I don't have a last name," I added and she gulped as her smile wavered for a second.

            "My name's Lottie," she introduced, shaking my hand as firmly as her weak body could.

            "Like The Little Princess?" I asked and she nodded.

            "And I have a last name," she replied, "It's Tomlinson."

Authors Note- I think my friend's almost done with her surgery, and I'll be able to see her soon, but writing is the only thing I can while I wait besides worry, so I posted this idea. It'll come out in ... Let's say December, and I'm really excited!!! Please give me feedback :)

xx, 

Luce