Emma laughed at his comment.

"No, my father would kill me for that. What I meant was, my mother was so overbearing about my table etiquette. We got into such nasty disagreements at times." Emma said, reminiscing about her time she had back home.  

"You miss home?" Killian asked, looking down at the table.

"It's the only place I've ever known." Emma responded, her voice lowering.

"I can always take you back, love. You're not a prisoner anymore... You tell me you want to go home and I'll take you." Killian said, reassuring her that it was now her choice.

"No!  I want to be here, with you." Emma said with a smile, placing her hand on top of his making him smile. 

Emma had finished her dinner now, Killian intentionally ate his meal slower just so he could listen to the princess ramble on about anything her heart desired. He found himself smiling more in the past couple of days than he had in his entire life. He knew if he could listen to her talk forever he would, he loved the way her face lit up when she talked and the way she wrinkled her nose mid sentence. His favorite part was when she looked up at him, catching him already staring, making her blush as she knew she had a tendency to never stop talking.

Once they knew the crew retired for the night, they made their way above deck as they did every night to watch the stars and continue to talk until they were too tired. They found themselves in their usual spot, leaning against a wall of the Jolly Roger. That night Emma decided to sit closer to Killian than usual, grabbing his arm and resting her head on his shoulder. Killian of course did not object to her display of affection.

    "I've told you so much of my past... when will you tell me yours?" Emma asked, genuinely curious, ready to know this man next to her.

    "What is it you want to know, love?" Killian asked, a tad nervous for this conversation.

    "Were you always a pirate?" Emma quickly asked, as if she already had her list of questions planned out.

    "No... I wasn't...." Killian responded quietly, knowing where this conversation was going to head.

    "When did you become one?" Emma pried.

Killian took a long deep breath...

"My older brother and I... we were members of the royal navy from a Kingdom oceans away from here. The king had ordered us to go to a dreadful island, Neverland, and collect a plant called dreamshade. He said it was to cure his people with any sickness. Once we got there my brother, Liam, insisted I stay back and he could handle the journey, I was foolish and let him go... He returned with as much as he and a few other men could carry. While unloading the plants onto the ship, Liam got cut by a thorn. The island captor, Pan, arrived saying the plants were poisonous and could eventually kill anyone on the island. He then saw Liam was cut and said if we left the island, he would surely die... We ignored him, trusting our King. The second we were out of Neverland's waters, Liam couldn't breath... he died in my arms on this ship...." Killian explained, trying to hold back tears as he thought of his brother.

"I don't understand how that made you a pirate..." Emma said, confused.

"Me and the rest of the crew discovered the King knew the plant was poisonous... something changed in me that day... I wanted to kill him. He took the only family I had. So when I returned to his kingdom the crew and I turned the place upside down, thinking it would ease our anger." Killian stated.

"Did it?" Emma asked, moving to see his face.

"No... it didn't. Sometimes I just get so angry about it and I take it out on others..." He answered, ashamed of himself.

    "Is that what happens when you visit other kingdoms... you take your anger out on them?" Emma continued to push.

    "To be fair, love, I only ever take my anger out on that one kingdom and anyone who got in my way. You've never seen me in your kingdom or your alliances, have you?" Killian stated, a tad too harshly.

    "What about those women you forced in your bed... where they-" Emma started.

    "I've NEVER forced a woman in my bed!" Killian said almost shouting, causing Emma to release her grip on his arm, backing away.

Emma knew she pushed a little too hard, she was just too curious and she knew how limited his temper could be. Killian really didn't mean to snap, especially not at her... he just hated that that's how she viewed him, a horrendous man.

    "Emma... I'm sorry... I didn't mean to raise my voice." Killian said, panic in his tone, thinking he just lost his chance to be with her.

    "It's alright, I shouldn't have pushed you." Emma said looking at him, taking responsibility for her actions.

    "I admit, I have had many women in my bed... but it was always their choice. Some nights at the tavern I would just drink to forget my pain and those women offered a distraction. It was a weak thing to do." Killian said with shame in his voice, unable to look at Emma.

    "I'm trying to be a better man for you, Swan. I know you want to return home and if this works out I want you to be proud to have someone like me by your side. I want you to be happy to bring me home to your mother and father... I just lose my temper at times." Killian continued on.

Emma brushed his hair with her hand, getting him to look at her. When he looked at her she saw all the sadness and anger in his eyes.

    "Hey... I know you're trying. Thank you..." Emma whispered to him, knowing he really was trying to change, for her.

She rested her forehead against his for a moment. Killian brushed her cheek with his hand, parting their foreheads. He got lost in her eyes, wondering why she was always so forgiving, something he struggled with. Without even thinking he brushed his lips against hers, then backed away not wanting to push his luck. Surprisingly, Emma grabbed his cheek and pulled him in for a long, lingering kiss. I was better than either of them imagined. The softness of her lips against his and he was so gentle with her, letting her set the pace.

They parted, not saying a word. They smiled at each other like two love sick kids and just stared at the sky and each other, stealing a few kisses every now and then. After a few quiet moments they began talking again, nothing as serious as their previous conversation. Killian informed Emma they would soon be at a nearby port for her to write her letter and get whatever else she wanted. They talked for hours until they realized the sun was soon to rise. They decided to head back to their cabins to get the few hours of sleep they limited themselves to. Emma thought it was best she slept in her own room and Killian in his, he didn't object. He gave her one more kiss before letting her drift off to sleep.