AnnMarie pulled away and continued her task.

"It's fine." She said very quietly.

Esther swallowed and glanced away. 

When she was done AnnaMarie ran her hands under the water to clean them. She sat in silence for a moment, her eyes on the floor, distant, like her mind was elsewhere. 

"You're not going to die, are you?" She asked. 

"I'm already dead." Esther said. 

AnnMarie gripped the side of the tub, her knuckles turning white.

"So you're trying to tell me you can't die? That nothing can make you go to sleep forever? Destroy you? That you're invincible?" She spat out the words with a surprising harshness that Esther found to be unlike her. 

Esther opened her mouth, which was very dry. 

"Annie…" she tried to think of something to calm her. "Annie, this can't...kill… me. And that's all that matters right now."

AnnMarie said nothing, her eyes still avoiding her, so she decided to continue reassuring her. 

     "It'll take me a few days to heal." she said, resting her hand on her bandaged stomach. "I'll need to sleep for a while."

     AnnMarie reached over and grabbed her hand, clutching it tightly as her shoulders began to shake. 

    "Annie…"

    "I'm sorry." Annie choked out. "I'm sorry Esther." 

     "Annie, I'll be fine. Really." Esther said. 

      "This is my fault." She said.

Estgr frowned. 

      "What? How could this possibly be your fault?"

      "It— it must—" AnnMarie paused to take in a shaky breath. "It must be the curse. It's my fault this happened."

      "Annie, no. It's not your fault." Esther said, squeezed her hand back. "Look at me."

     AnnMarie rubbed the back of her hand across her eyes and looked up at her. 

     "It was just me not being careful enough, okay? It's not your fault. I promise I'll recover from this. All things considered, I'm not even injured that badly." 

She said it as sincerely as possible, but there was no change in AnnMarie. 

"No, I have to do something to make up for this." AnnMarie said. 

 "Annie. You didn't do anything." Esthr said again, though her declaration fell on deaf ears. 

      "P—please! Drink my blood!" AnnMarie said. "That'll help you, right?" 

It would.

      Esther took in a sharp breath.

     "I… iI don't think I should do that." Esther said.

     "Please, Esther!" She said.

     "Right now? Annie—" she shook her head. "Annie, I'll hurt you! You're being ridiculous!"

      AnnMarie ignored her, and leaned farther over the edge of the tub. She took a fistful of Esther’s hair, and pulled her face into the curve of her neck.

    Esther let out a small whimper, and pulled slightly away. 

    She could get out of her grasp. She could get out of her grasp easily. She knew that.