Chapter Four

"Hey

"Hey."

Esther woke from her sleep, inky black and dreamless, with more than a bit of a startle. It was a risk to sleep in front of AnnMarie, Esther knew that. The girl might realize that she had no pulse when she wasn't conscious and call the paramedics. Then she would really be in for a difficult situation.

"Hey." Esther said tiredly back to her.

She glanced out of the window above her and saw the sun had set long ago. She had been asleep for a while.

"You're a heavy sleeper." AnnMarie commented.

Esther frowned and pulled herself slightly up, onto her elbows.

"I get that a lot."

"You still feeling bad?" AnnMarie asked.

She had seemed to notice the decline Esther's mood and activity across the week, and had commented on it a time or two.

"Yeah." Esther said, already feeling herself wanting to fall back asleep.

"You think you'll be okay?" AnnMarie pressed. "You don't need to see anybody, or for me to get you something? Anything?"

Esther willed herself upright, and blinked at the woman. She seemed concerned. Very concerned. Previously, Esther was sure she knew what she was doing, as she'd caught the playful smile on her mouth every now and then.

"Yeah. I think I might have just caught something while I was traveling." She said. "I'll probably just have to sleep it off."

AnnMarie nodded, though she didn't seem any less worried.

"Alright." She said. "I'll be asleep. Feel free to come and get me if you need me."

That seemed to be an invitation, but in her weakened state, Esther didn't know if it was enough.

Sure, if she slept a little longer, Esther knew she could go three weeks or more without feeding just fine. But she didn't want to do that. She wanted blood.

AnnMarie stood, and began to walk away.

"Wait!" Esther said.

"Yes?" AnnMarie asked without turning around.

"I know it's a bit of an odd request, but could I sleep with you tonight?"

AnnMarie didn't answer for a moment, but then, all at once spun around, a broad and unnerving smile on her face.

"you mean like a sleepover?" She said it with the excitement of a child.

"Uh, Yeah. Like a sleepover." Esther said with a nervous laugh.