35

I tried to pretend I was listening to the words coming out of my moms mouth as she prepared breakfast. She was telling me all about her and Andrews upcoming holiday and I tried to nod and smile in all the right places. But really I was too busy thinking about Ripper. Yesterday at his house was weird. He opened up to me and actually told me things about him I never knew before. 

He was a monster but he didn't choose to be that way. He was made to choose that path. That didn't excuse anything he'd done of course, but it was an explanation of some sorts.

Then there was the apology, the first and only time I felt like Ripper was treating me like a human being.

In the space of a day I witnessed a full blown Ripper crisis at Lorenzo's place, to genuinely connecting with Ripper. Life is so confusing! 

I said goodbye to my mom and started my walk to school. A strange sense of deja vu washed over me as Rippers Range Rover pulled up besides me. Without question I jumped into the passengers seat and offered him a small smile. "Thanks for the ride."

"Pleasure is all mine, so what's going on in the sweet life of Annabella Johnson?" This Ripper was very new to me, he was being pleasant. I just hope it lasted longer than a day. 

"Nothing much, my moms got a new boyfriend, he's cool. They're going on holiday together so I guess it's serious." I smiled thinking about how happy my mom had been lately if anyone deserved it, it's her.

"By that smile I'm going to assume you like him, I don't have to kill him do I?" I snapped my head in Rippers direction but he was smiling, so I think that meant he was joking. 

"I do like him, so I would appreciate it if you didn't kill my moms boyfriend, don't even joke about that."

"Don't worry kitten, I'm on best behaviour, your moms boyfriend is safe." I narrowed my eyes at him but left that subject there. 

"So have you told your friends about what happened yesterday?" I started messing with my fingers just thinking about the pending conversation with Hailey and Sophia. 

"Not yet but I'm going to have to tell them the truth. I want to tell them the truth. They hate you, you know."

Ripper shrugged his shoulders and carried on concentrating on the road, thankfully we were almost at school, it was getting rather stuffy in here. "I don't give a fuck, I only care about you. I told you I wouldn't threaten them again and I won't. Unless they deserve it. And you should probably tell them you won't be going to Europe any more either remember." I forgot I gave up my right to travel Europe trying to stop him from killing Lorenzo. I guess that's one dream I'll have to remove from my list.

"I'll tell them." I bit my lip just thinking about breaking the news to them. 

"Don't be sad Annabella, you promised me this. I can take you to Europe whenever you like, you say when." I smiled and tried to make it seem as genuine as I could, I didn't want to piss him off because he's right, I did promise.

We were finally at school and already people were staring at Rippers Range Rover. "Thanks for the ride Noah." Ripper moved closer and gave me a soft kiss on the cheek before pulling back. "That's okay, I'll pick you up after school we can get dinner."

And so it begins, eat, sleep, Ripper, repeat.

"And don't forget, if the English teacher even steps foot in that school I want to know. And if he does I want to hear it from you, no one else." The scary Ripper was back for a second so I quickly nodded my head and jumped out of the car before he could intimidate me further.

As usual everyone stared at me as I walked from Rippers car to the school. I tried to keep my head high and walk on but that wasn't easy. I heard people whispering 'whore'. I heard the word 'slut' a couple of times. Some people were even whispering about Cindy. I tried not to let it bother me, Ripper had already said he didn't kill her so for my own sanity I had to believe him.