18: Formula

The curtain was strategically placed to keep me hidden. One slight movement and it would be obvious that I was in the small space behind it. There was dust forming on the bricks and as gross as the place was, I was not going to lose to my brother. I sucked in my breath as Matteo ran past me. Before I could breathe out a sigh of relief, which evidently would have caused all the dust to fly around, my brother came back.

He stopped right in front of the curtain but didn't unveil it. Biting on my lips I tried to keep myself from bursting into laughter. I never chose this place as a hiding spot before but sometimes the easiest answers, or in this case places, was the hardest to find.

"You have got to be kidding me," he commented before running away. After waiting a few more seconds, I peeked my head out to see if the coast was clear. Matteo had already disappeared in the crowd of people. Smiling at my momentary victory I shimmed out from the tight space and tried to brush the dust off of my dress. It was a useless attempt considering how dirty it had already gotten.

Today was a busy day in the Valentino pack. There were a few people making last-minute changes for the party that was set to take place afterward. The guests would be arriving in three hours. Which meant, Matteo and I did not have to get ready until one more hour. So, we decided to play our legendary game of "tag and hide" in the meantime. 

I ran in the opposite direction to where Matteo went. Maneuvering between the people working I occasionally apologized for getting in there way. It was our seventeenth birthday and hence, the lavish preparations. 

I was rather excited to be getting closer to the age when I would stop ageing as fast as humans. It was one of the many perks I would unlock when I turned eighteen next year. However, this year I was looking forward to something else. I would be finally meeting my pen pal. He was an esteemed guest for tonight. On several occasions, my brother had ever so kindly pointed out that I may have a crush on my long-distance friend. However, I was very quick to point out to him that I had my eyes on someone else.

Someone who played a more prominent role in my life. A person who I was very much in love with but never dared to say it out loud. However, I was sure that she knew and felt the same way about me. We both acted like we were together except she hadn't found her soulmate yet, so we didn't promise ourselves to each other. I knew my fate had no soulmate waiting for me but that was not the case for Mico. And I didn't want her to be conflicted when she would finally meet her soulmate. I am able to give her all my love but it would be foolish for her to do the same. Although, she was still dumb enough to fall for me.

"Shit," my face collided against the firm surface causing me to take a few steps backward. I held my nose and shut my eyes, processing the pain that shot through me. I pinched the bridge of my nose and moved it to check if it was broken. Relief washed over me and I opened my eyes, only to see that a man was sat on the ground in front of me. I must have slammed against him and the impact caused him to lose balance. As a royal I had more strength than an ordinary werewolf, even though all my abilities were not unlocked.

"I am so sorry, sir," I apologized and offered my hand to help him up. The man wore a plain tunic that resembled the one that our kitchen staff wore. The colour was different from the maroon they usually sported. However, he had the same trousers and low boots. The mantle cloak he had on was definitely not something I had seen any of the kitchen staff wear before.

His eyes widened and he immediately averted his gaze to the ground. My hand was left outstretched as he stood up in a haste and bowed his head, "Your highness, I sincerely apologize."  

Trying to play it off, I used my hand to tuck my hair behind my ear. "You have nothing to apologize for. I was the one that ran straight at you. I swear it felt like you came out of nowhere."  I said, followed by an awkward laugh. Momentarily he looked up at me and I could see the fear in his eyes.