10: Killing Butterflies

By the looks of it, only a few titled packs members were actually properly out of the hall. However, there were enough warriors surrounding us to make me extremely aware of the scene I am a part of. I could feel the stares of the people around us. Soon, the shock would be replaced with fear as werewolves would start to realize what this could potentially lead to. I am sure of it.

My face is stone-cold. From any angle, it would look as if I am carrying out a boring chore. Unless someone is adjacent to us, they won't be able to see the knife that I am holding. Following the expectations from warriors, I gave away zero emotions.

"I'm trying my best to be polite," he lowered his voice so that only I would be able to hear him, "but if you won't move that away, I will tear you apart." The words rolled out his mouth with ease. It was paired with a subtle smirk and that infuriated me more.

I tilted my head slightly, the change allowed me to see him at a better angle. The sun fell over him, enveloping him with a warmth his soul clearly lacked. His left eye color was lighter, almost a hazel, with beautiful hints of occasional specs of green while his right was dark brown. Perhaps if the situation was different or if he was someone else, I would've taken my time to appreciate the heterochromia.

"Move a centimeter closer," I urged. My voice matched his allowing no one but us to hear the exchange. Even though my expression remained neutral, my voice gave away the hate. I made contact with his throat with the tip of my knife without moving any other muscle to get closer to him. "... Believe me, I won't hesitate to slice your throat," my tone was eery and filled with promise.

I was slightly taken back when I heard him chuckle, his eyes were still fixated on me. An unfamiliar emotion washed over me. While trying to ignore the blush that was creeping up my neck, I pushed a little forward. My sharp blade drew a little blood but all it did was cause him to lick his bottom lips. He was amused. I couldn't decide if he is a sadist or a masochist.

Gently he touched at the base of his neck and wiped the blood away. Through my peripheral vision, I saw his warriors move slightly with uneasiness. He knew exactly what I was capable of, he was also very aware that unlike him, I didn't order my warriors to be at ease. He gave me a genuine smile, it confused me, but I refused to let my guard down.

"I am truly blessed with the perfect mate," he commented without a trace of sarcasm.

The moment was broken when I heard the command Matteo mind-linked the warriors because it was aimed at me as well. It was plain and simple, "stand down."

Zonarus looked at my brother after hearing him sprint closer to us. I turned to see Jaquelin taking Matteo's hand. It was clear that my brother was furious.

"Stand down," Matteo used his Alpha voice to command. Not being able to go against it, the warriors stepped down. Zonarus looked at the warriors behind me and then back at me. I flinched slightly.

He knew that I would never ask my warriors to stand down while my knife didn't falter from his throat. He also figured out that Matteo was the one who mind-linked the command to them. He titled his head slightly. Zonarus was entertained and seemed more curious than I had ever seen him. I silently hoped that he didn't catch on to the fact that I was able to deflect an Alpha command which was also directed at me. Then I remembered, there was no way he would ever be able to work that out.

"Violet, stand down," Matteo commanded out loud, he was right next to me. His Alpha voice didn't work on me like it is supposed to. I always, however, followed it in order to not raise any eyebrows. My intentions were never to undermine my brother's authority as the Alpha and I was not going to start right now.

As fast as I took out my knife, I put it back in my pocket. Without an explanation or apology, I started walking away from my brother and Zonarus. It was bad that I reacted the way I did. In my defense, I was worried that Zonarus would try to establish contact. We had already imprinted which meant the next step was acceptance which could be done with a simple skin touch. The acceptance also required both of us to agree to this bond. Deep down I hated that I knew I would not reject his request to establish the bond. So, I have to leave.