Chapter Twelve ~ Stay

Start from the beginning

The next morning went well, it was a Saturday. Kei hadn't slept that night, he had dozed once or twice, but he still didn't get much sleep. He was in the middle of making breakfast while Natsu and Shoyo slept and cuddled in the fort they had made in the kitchen when his phone rang.

"Hello?" He asked, a yawn escaping his lips as he used his shoulder to hold the phone to his ear.

"Tsukishima? I'm sorry, did I wake you?" It was Koushi on the other end of the line. Kei shook his head, then realized Koushi was on a phone call and not in front of him.

"No, I've been up all night actually. What is it Sugawara?" He asked, flipping the fish with his chopsticks before stirring the miso soup to make sure it didn't boil or anything.

"Well, Takeda couldn't avoid setting up a practice game for tomorrow and I drew the short straw in calling either you or Shoyo to see if you two wanted to go with us to Aoba Johsai for a game on their campus" Koushi said, a slight chuckle rang through the speaker of the phone as Kei got out clean dishes and chop sticks for the two gingers in the other room.

"I'll have to ask Shoyo, he's been having trouble sleeping and I don't know if a volleyball court will be the greatest thing for him and Natsu to see right now. It's their choice though, so I'll ask and get back to you" Kei scooped rice into bowls and then miso soup.

"That's fine with me Tsukishima, I just wanted to ask you in case you weren't comfortable with it either. I know you still feel pretty iffy about the court right now too" Koushi said, his voice considerate and happy from the other end of the line. Kei put the vice-captain on speaker as he set the table. Shoyo wandered into the room and hugged Kei lazily after he set down the last of the food.

"Morning Shoyo, how did you sleep?" Kei asked as he leaned down, kissing Shoyo gently on his lips.

"Eh, better than yesterday night. Who are you talking to?" Shoyo asked, looking at the phone on the counter.

"Ah! Morning Hinata, I had a question for Tsukishima, we didn't wake you did we?" Koushi asked from the other end of the line.

"No, no you're fine. Morning Sugawara" He said as he sat in the chair.

"Natsu is in the bathroom" Shoyo said quietly, making Kei smile as he watched his boyfriend sit down with food in front of him.

"Good, stay seated then. Breakfast is ready so you can dig in whenever you want" Kei said, going back over to the phone and taking it off speaker.

"Anyway, what were you saying?" He asked as he pointed to the living room, showing Shoyo he would be right back. The ginger nodded and then Kei walked off, he grabbed the gun from its hiding spot that he'd made for it and walked to the bedroom.

"You guys can come if you want or you can stay home, it doesn't bother any of us. We just wanted to make sure you two knew you were included if you wanted. I can't imagine what Shoyo and Natsu are going through, but Kei you're amazing for staying with them and helping them through this all" Koushi complimented, making Kei smile as he put his weapon back into his nightstand.

"Yeah, sometimes it involves pillow forts in the living room with movie binging as a distraction, or three am hot chocolate because Natsu woke up from a nightmare, even just me bringing meals to them and laying in bed with them the entire day is what they need. I know what I signed up for, so no matter what I'll keep them safe. I'll help them feel like they're safe and make it stay that way" Kei said, walking from the bedroom to find Natsu leaving the bathroom. She made grabby hands at him and Kei gladly squished his phone between his shoulder and ear to pick her up and kiss her on the forehead as a good morning greeting.