Chapter 12

Gale POV

Katniss walks across the stage to greet Caeser Flickerman, but you can barley hear anything they say over the loud noises the people from the Capital are making. But I don't pay that much attention to them, I only watch Katniss in her wedding dress. I can't stop thinking how she could've married me. How I could've watched her walk down the aisle with such a beautiful dress. We probably would've had a grand wedding in the Capital, with her being crowned victor and all. Although I hate myself for saying it, I almost wish Peeta had died in the games. Then maybe, just maybe me and Katniss could've been happy together. Not that she's happy with Peeta, she doesn't truly love him, but she doesn't even get a choice. I just wish she could've picked who to marry.

It takes Caeser a decent amount of time to somewhat quiet down the noise, but it Is definitely still there and time is ticking away at Katniss' interview, though I doubt she minds that it's being cut short. Caeser asks his first question: So, Katniss, obviously this is a very emotional night for everyone. I there anything you'd like to say?

Katniss thinks for a second, then in a slightly shaky voice responds. "I'm sorry it's likely you all won't get to see mine and Peeta's wedding. But I'm glad the dress got to be used, isn't it just beautiful?"

I wish I could tell her the dress looks amazing, that she looks perfect. But I will probably never get the opportunity. Katniss begins to spin, and her dress begins to catch on fire. I am shocked, and I pray that she will be okay. The smoke completely encloses her in a bubble, and you can't see any part of her body. Pearls fall and clink against the ground. The flames then abruptly stop, and I'm almost afraid to look at Katniss. But then I realize, her stylist did it, because she now looks like some sort of bird.

"Feathers, you look like a bird!" Caeser says.

"A mockingjay." Katniss replies. Everything starts to piece together in my head.

Caeser glances her stylist's way, and says "Hats off to your stylist, let's give a round of applause to Cinna, everyone!" Everyone claps like crazy, which is understandable. Caeser then says goodbye and good luck to Katniss, and introduces Haymitch as he walks on the stage. I'm just hoping he doesn't pass out drunk again. Or act drunk.

But to my surprise, he seems... not drunk. I honestly am not sure if I have ever even witnessed him in his sober state. "So Haymitch," Caeser says, "how are you feeling about going back into the games?"

Haymitch doesn't even pause to think. It was almost as if he was expecting the question. "Angry, obviously. I don't want to go back into that horrible place. It wasn't horrible enough the first time throwing kids in a cage, and have them kill each other? Now you're forcing grown adults, who have already killed multiple people, and are almost all friends, or at least acquaintances kill each other? It's sick. And I'm sure most of the victors, or now technically tributes, would agree with me on this."

Caeser looks  stunned, and unsure of what to say. He was probably expecting him to say something about canceling the games, but this was very unpredictable. So Caeser does the only thing he can think to do, and shifts the conversation onto something else. A topic that fills me with sadness and slight rage. "Well, Haymitch, that seems to be a popular opinion tonight. But, one of the questions I really wanted to ask you, and I'm sure the crowd is curious to hear your response too, do you think we will see a reunion of Katniss and Peeta? Or is the Star-Crossed Lovers of District 12 coming to an end?"

"Well Caeser, it all depends how the games go." Haymitch starts. "I mean, it's not a guarantee me or Katniss will be able to stay alive. But I do defiantly think there's a chance for a reunion, but I can't promise anything." I can't tell if he wants Katniss to win or not. I'm sure Peeta probably ,ade him agree to protect Katniss, but he can't really say that for other tributes to find out.

"Well Haymitch, I'm afraid that's all the time we have for tonight." They both stand up, and Haymitch shakes Caeser's hand and walks off the stage without another word.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I posted two updates tonight because it might be a while before I update again, because my copy of Ballad of Songbirds of Snakes is coming in the mail tomorrow! I'm so exited to read it!

I hope you are all doing okay, and getting put of quarantine soon (or already are!)! Where I live, as long as it's not extended again, restrictions should start being lifted on May 28th, which is in 6 days! But I'm not sure if my mom will even let me leave the house still, which sucks :( I hope you and your family have stayed healthy durring this time!