Chapter 1

THESE CHARACTERS AND THE GENERAL CONNECPT OF THIS BOOK DO NOT BELONG TO ME, THEY BELONG TO SUZANNE COLLINS.

Haymitch POV

I throw the bottle of liquor that I was drinking across the room, and hear the glass shatter. I watch as the liquid spills all over the floor, knowing the Capital lied about another thing relating to the games. Katniss, and possibly Peeta or I, will have to return in that dreaded arena. I already am expecting Peeta to be here within a few minutes, begging for me to make sure Katniss gets out of that arena. And I was right.

He opens the door, his eyes turning red. I have to admit, I do feel bad for him. Both him and Katniss have already been through a lot, just like any other victor. But I also know Snow had something to do behind it. Katniss threatens his power. She is helping start a revolution. But the kids don't know that. And they don't need to. They don't need another thing on their plate to worry about. So I let Peeta do his begging, and I tell him I will do what ever is in my power to get her out. Which isn't a total lie. But I also promise him I will allow him to go into the arena, per his request, to protect Katniss. This one I'm not sure I can guarantee. There's too many factors in this situation to decide that right now.

Katniss comes eventually too. I was able to consume some alcohol in between the two visits, and I know I wouldn't have made it through my second little chit-chat without it. I don't even remember most of what she said. I know I told her I would try to get Peeta out, which was a huge lie, but I also promised her if Peeta's name was called, I would go in his place. I think... that would be best anyways. These kids are more relevant and needed now then me. Katniss would be a mess if anything happened to Peeta. Even if she got out of that arena alive, she would be in no shape to lead a revolution, that no matter what Snow tries to do, will come. I think attempting to hold at least one of each of their promises is fair. So that's what I am going to try to do.

After drinking some more, the realization sets me that I might be going back into the arena. With no alcohol. Or mentoring, which means I will have to be focused on getting Katniss out. She is needed for the revolution to happen. Which means I need to cut back on the drinking. So, for the first time probably since I started mentoring, I put down the liquor bottle. Because I don't want anymore. I can't have any more.

I will keep Katniss alive, if it costs me my life.