Chapter 2

Katniss POV

I hear a knock on the door while I'm eating breakfast. I stand up and tell my mother I'll get it. I open the door to find Peeta. He looks like he was crying, puffy, red eyes and blotchy face. I can't look him in the eyes. I know it's my fault he has to go back in there. "Hi Peeta."

"Hey Katniss. Are you busy? I really need to talk to you and Haymitch about..." he trails off at the end, but I know exactly what he means.

"I'm not busy, let me just grab my shoes, and I'll be right out." I respond, still not quite looking him in the eyes. I turn away from the door before he can respond, and slip on my shoes, trying to figure out exactly what Peeta wants to talk with us about. I come outside of my house, to find Peeta waiting patiently for me. Haymitch really is right. I don't deserve him. Which is why he has to win the games, if he goes in the arena.

-----

Peeta makes sure Haymitch and I are both seated at Haymitch's kitchen table before he starts talking. "I know last night was shocking, but we need to focus on this Quell. Because the victor is going to be one of us three." I know Peeta is referring to me. He thinks I'm going to win. But he's wrong. "We need to train. Train like we're Careers and train and eat to prepare for the games. We need to learn everything we can that might help us in this games. We need to learn our competitors too. And most importantly, stop drinking." he looks back and forth between me and Haymitch a few times. "So first step, get rid of all the liquor. Katniss, a hand please?" I follow Peeta into the kitchen as we start searching for Haymitch's supply. Peeta finds it rather quickly and starts pulling out bottles from a large cabniet.

He looks at me like he wants to say something. And he does. "Katniss, you can't drink either. I only told Riper to not sell to Haymitch. Because I know your mother needs it sometimes for medical use." He starts pouring liquor down the drain and asks for me to do the same. "I don't care how much it helps you in the moment. Think about the long terms effects. And if you do start drinking, I'll have to tell Riper to stop selling to you too. Which I really don't want to have to do."

"I won't Peeta. I wasn't planning to. Waking up every morning how I felt earlier today? No thank you. I honestly don't know how Haymitch does it." I honestly wasn't panning on drinking more anytime soon. Or ever again, I probably won't have the chance.

Peeta seems comforted by my answer. "Good. And please don't do it after either, for me." He walks out of the kitchen. Oh Peeta, I thought. If only you knew.

AUTHORS NOTE

Hey guys! I hope you've been enjoying the story so far! I just wanted to ask for your feedback on the first chapter. Were they good, or bad? And please tell me what you think of all the dialog in this chapter and tell me if it is clear to you. I tend to have a lot of issues making the dialog flow with the characters thoughts and actions. Also, are these chapters a good length? Should I make them longer?