Chapter 14: Hide... Kind Of?

2 weeks later...

Christmas break is done and now they return to class, Jackson hasn't talked to anyone during Christmas break after his confrontation with TJ and Theo. Jackson doesn't even show up on Monday or Tuesday of the first week back.

And when you skip school unless it was for a field trip or approved by the school, you cant participate in any sports that day, so Jackson missed 2 days of not only school but also practice which was hurting the team badly.

With a wild card game coming up on Friday night, Jacksons school gets home field advantage because the other teams field had the grass ruined by the snow, perks of having a turf field...

Normally the team that does the worst doesn't get home field but in this case the #16 Holy Names Knights (Jacksons team) get to play host to the #12 Kennedy High Cavaliers, a team that got very lucky in the season and hasn't made the city playoffs since 2003.

Jackson decided to make a very ballsy move.

He woke up Wednesday morning at 6 am, 30 minutes later than he normally would, he got up and made some eggs and reheated some left over bacon and fixed himself some orange juice.

As he was taking a sip from his orange juice and started scrambling the eggs and breaking the bacon into bits to mix into the scrambled eggs, his phone finally turned on and was spammed with notifications ringing for about 3 minutes non stop.

The notifications were mainly from his teachers sending out reminders about what was covered in class and what was to do for homework in case any of the kids forgot when they got home, there were a few important ones though.

Some were some emails from some Canadian Universities about playing football for them next year, which Jackson didn't even bother opening because he doesn't see himself playing in Canada if he makes it next level to him its NCAA or bust.

There were some other important texts too, mind you none of them were important to Jackson, they were just people on the team like Theo and TJ spamming him trying to get a hold of him. Although the daily "Hey <3" From Alexis Kaufman always hit hard as even though promising Theo... Jackson hasn't answered any of her texts since the start of Christmas break when Theo and TJ came over. The last text he sent was "Why?"

Jackson thought long and hard about what he was going to do, not just the decision on whether he should show up or not, but what was he going to do later on, after football, after this week, he wanted answers, or some form of guidance... but it was never given to him.

It is not about 6:45 AM and Jackson decided to go for a run because since he was up with his dog he didn't want to go back to bed so he thought itd be good for him to get some of the dogs energy out before he either goes to school or goes back to bed.

As he was on his run though, Theo wanted to check up on Jackson and headed towards his house only for Theo to see Jackson running down the side walk and as soon as Jackson saw it was Theo he made a sharp left going down a small and not very wide pathway that led to a different neighbourhood.

Jackson wasn't trying to run for Theo or trying to avoid him, he was trying to avoid everyone and avoid any conversation or unnecessary communication with anyone. No matter how hard Theo tried he couldn't get through to his friend.

Something was up and Theo needed to get to the bottom of it, it was eating him alive on the inside.

Theo didn't bother chasing him as he continued on his drive for school, a lot of the team goes before school in the morning when its quiet and not any of the girls from the school distracting them and trying to get them to talk to them.

That's when Theo saw that their Coach was just walking out of the weight room right as Theo had gotten changed and was entering:

Coach Green: Theo.

Theo: How's it going sir.

Coach Green: Oh you know the same old heap of crap.

*Awkward pause and silence*

Coach Green: Listen Theo, I'm sure you're aw-

Theo: Yes Coach, I know. I actually am glad I ran into you because I saw Jackson this morning.

Coach Green: That's awesome!... Where'd you see him son?

Theo: Well he was running with his dog and as soon as he saw it was me coming up behind him he turned quickly down a path to another neighborhood.

Coach Green: Why would he do that?

Theo: Well it's been on my mind for quite some time and I've been trying to think of the different possibilities and I remember ever since one day it was like the day or two after the game so during Christmas break he had completely shut down because mentally when he has no one around he slips backwards and starts falling into a deeper and deeper mental state from his past...

Coach Green: Okay... I didn't know he had a bad past but sorry to interrupt go on.

Theo: Oh don't worry I've heard some fucked up things from him and he said I barely have scratched the surface with him. Anyways, ever since that day we went over he tried to run to his room but TJ tackled him and they starting actually fighting with elbows and MMA holds everything. Then he started to attack me and eventually once he slapped me really hard across the face and I was rocked and TJ was kneeled on one knee, he just fell to his knees and started crying and apologizing... but now he just hasn't answered any of us or even read our messages that we know of.

Coach Green: So he's hiding?

Theo: By the sounds of it... Kind of.

Coach Green: Well we need him this week is huge they have the best DB and the best LB in the province, we need him to help spread us out!

Theo: I know, I know. Something tells me though that he will show up by Friday, and I know its against the rules to let students play sports if they missed 2 or more days of school without approval from parents or valid reasoning... but he'll be there.

Coach Green: I hope you're right.. Goodbye Theo

*Theo to himself in his head* Theo: I hope so too Coach, I hope so too....