13 ❀ It's hard to stay gentle

IT'S HARD TO STAY GENTLE

00:13

**✿❀ ❀✿**

GROWING UP GRACE AND FINN WERE inseparable. In the suburban neighborhood, Finn's mother lived beside another pregnant lady just as she was. Becoming best friends and having their little ones grow up together was only sensible.

Several years and carpooling later, the two would always tell each other their secrets, crushes, hopes, and plans. And by fascination, Finn would always bring up a girl from one of his classes that looked cute.

Grace was more of a tomboy. She hung out with girls too, but it's not like girls wanted to hang out with her. She didn't like boys; they stunk and were always sweaty and sticky. Girls were pretty and had soft skin.

Finn liked Grace since she was chiller than the rest of his elementary friends, and always brought him an extra ziplock bag of fresh green grapes. Finn and Grace bonded over several things when they became best friends.

In 7th grade, Finn confessed that he may have had a crush on her. Grace laughed at him, seeing the dandelion he picked from the ground in one of his hands. Grace grabbed it and blew it in the wind; many seeds still stayed in the flower's root, indicating she didn't feel the same way.

Finn went home rejected. She thought he probably had to move to a different town now because Grace was his best friend and he didn't want things to be weird now.

But the next day, Grace acted as if nothing had happened. She still gave him a ziplock of green grapes, hid his pencil case in class, and worked as though he didn't confess his love to her the day before.

In the first year, Grace always heard Finn talk about a girl he had a crush on in class. It began to get annoying, seeing as Grave didn't hang out with him after school just for him to be talking about a girl instead of playing video games.

"Are you jealous?" Finn would say when Grace told him that he mentioned this girl for the 4th time in the last hour. But that wasn't true. Grace never felt romantic feelings toward Finn— Or any guy,

When Finn and Grace met in their usual place at the front gate after school, Finn pointed towards a redhead waving a shorter brunette.

Grace didn't acknowledge her, but rather the shorter one. She had a period with the brunette; She was loud and the opposite of Grace. For a second, Grace almost forgot to notice who he was pointing at— the redhead. Sadie; This Is what Finn said her name was.

He was totally out of her league. "I'm going to marry her one day."

Finn stopped going to the front gate after winter break, leaving Grace to walk home by herself.