Breakthrough - Hanji x Reader

Start from the beginning

"Levi gave me permission in the very beginning that I was free to run tests," Hanji answered brightly. "Now quit complaining and go get your gear on!"

She gaped at the mad scientist beside her. Was she joking? She was going to force her to put harnesses and belts on this early in the morning? It was just now sunrise!

"Stop looking at me like that," Hanji complained. "It's not that bad, (F/N). This will be fun."

"Yeah, sure. Whatever," she grumbled, sliding off of the stool and walking back towards her room. As slowly as possible, (F/N) got her harnesses on and then her equipment. She wanted to waste as much time as physically possible.

On her way back, she bumped right into Corporal Levi himself. He was dazed and tired looking.

"Why the hell do you have all of that shit on?" He grumbled, eyes narrowing. 

"I'm not entirely sure, sir. Go ask Hanji. She needs to talk to you anyway," (F/N) replied. "Something about an experiment and needing Eren."

~

"Yes, perfect! Just stay right there and transform when I tell you!" Hanji yelled down from the branch she and (F/N) were standing on. Eren stood down below on the ground with his usual determined look on his face. 

After hearing Hanji's request for Eren's transformation, Levi insisted on tagging along and insisted that he was the only one who could control Eren in titan form. He now sat on a branch below, a scowl on his face as he watched the teen carefully.

"Get those notes ready," Hanji told (F/N), eyes lit up in delight. Or that was the glitter reflecting in them. 

Glitter coated the trees behind Eren's head, something Hanji had gotten (F/N) to do before Eren arrived with Levi. Luckily, the teen didn't notice the sparkly, now fabulous trees and went right into 'I'm going to listen to everything you say' mode. 

"Right, now after you transform, I want you to turn around, okay dear?" Hanji cooed. "Whenever you're ready, Eren!"

(F/N) shook her head in disbelief. This woman was crazy. 

The whole ground and trees around shook violently as Eren chomped down on his hand as hard as he could, nearly sending (F/N) off of the branch. 

In Eren's place stood a fifteen-meter class titan with shaggy hair and piercing turquoise eyes. Upon transformation, Titan Eren let out an obnoxious roar before turning around like instructed previously. 

(F/N) was surprised he remembered after transformation. 

When his eyes landed on the fabulous trees, Eren let out yet another ear-popping roar before sprinting to them and punching every single one down. 

(F/N) and Hanji could only stare in shock with their jaws open. That was the complete opposite of what Hanji predicted. 

"That was it?" Levi called up. "That was your dumb experiment?"

Hanji laughed. "That was beautiful! (F/N), write that down! Write it down!" She clapped her hands cheerfully. "Now we know that titans aren't repelled by glitter. I guess I'll have to have Moblit wash the horses off then."

(F/N) glared at Hanji. "You didn't."

"For fucks sake, Shitty Glasses," Levi swore as he used his 3DM gear to land on the same branch as the two women. "Stop messing with the fucking horses and do a real experiment for once."

"Uh, Corporal," an exhausted voice called from down below. All three of them looked down at the ground where Eren had stumbled and collapsed. "I-I don't feel so good..."

"Getting out of your titan body must be getting easier then," Hanji commented. She looked at her partner. "Write that down."

(F/N) sighed in exasperation but obeyed her command. 

"I'm getting the brat back to bed," Levi mumbled as he pulled (F/N) down to his level. His lips brushed past her ear. "Get that piece of shit scientist to bed too. It's almost been a week and her stupid experiments are getting more and more ridiculous."

She nodded in agreement to his words and straightened as he gave her a nod and disappeared over to Eren. When he and the titan boy were gone, (F/N) turned to Hanji with a stern look.

"You," she snapped. "Bed. Now."

Hanji's excited face fell. "But there's so much to do! I can't go to bed now!" 

"Hanji, it'll all still be there when you wake up. I'll work on a few things for you while you're asleep. You haven't even seen your bed in days," (F/N) replied. She tucked the clipboard under her arm and grabbed hold of her triggers, using them to get herself to the ground. Hanji followed suit, murmuring profanities the entire time.

"I'm not tired," she tried. 

"Yeah, and I'm ugly," (F/N) responded with as much sarcasm as she could. She wasn't ugly; she was fucking fabulous.

"But-"

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed. "Just shut the hell up and go to sleep, Hanji! You need it!"

Hanji frowned. "No I don't. I'm perfectly functional."

(F/N) could have laughed right then and there. Instead, she snorted in disbelief and clamped a hand onto Hanji's wrist, dragging her to where she remembered her room was. "You aren't functional. You just made me cover trees in glitter." She shoved Hanji through the door of her room. "Now sleep or else I'm ripping up all of your notes and killing Bean and Sawney."

Hanji gasped at the threat and almost immediately started removing her jacket and straps. "Please don't touch my babies!" She cried. Her eyes were actually watering. This woman was actually crying over her two, tortured test subjects that she treated like they were actually her children. "I'll sleep, I swear!"

(F/N) crossed her arms and watched impatiently as Hanji ran around the room, throwing off her uniform jacket and boots. When she was left in only her yellow button down and white pants, she dove under the covers on her bed. 

"Glasses," (F/N) reminded. Hanji squeaked and removed them, gently setting them on the bedside table. She was now satisfied and nodded. "Goodnight, Hanji."

Hanji mumbled something unintelligible, already partially asleep as (F/N) closed the door as softly as possible.

True to her promise, she walked back to the lab with the notes, ready to set to work. 

However, she was asleep at the table within twenty minutes.