The Reckless and the Brave - Eren x Reader

"Hey Eren! I just wanted to say that you did a great job today at training!"

The turquoise eyed boy looked up at the mention of his name, his eyelids droopy from exhaustion and struggling to focus as (F/N) approached, her usual broad smile accessorizing her face.

Eren's irritation flared up as she got closer, his eyes shifting into a glare. 

"Yeah thanks, whatever," he mumbled venomously. (F/N) faltered at the tone of his voice, her smile shrinking slightly. However, she didn't let that defeat her mask of joy as she marched right on past him.

But, like every night, when she exited the cafeteria, she ran around to the side of the building, the tears building up. 

When she was sure she was out of sight, (F/N) bent over with her hands on her knees and let the water escape her eyes. 

Every night. Every single night was the same. She tried so hard to be polite to Eren and tried so hard to become his friend, but he always seemed disinterested and annoyed with her presence; almost as though he couldn't stand the very thought of her existence. He hated her for no reason, and it killed her inside. She didn't know what had happened to make him feel like this towards her.

(F/N) juggled with the idea that it might be the fact that Ymir was the closest thing she had to a friend, but only because Krista forced her to be nice to her. Ymir wasn't exactly the sweetest person around, so she could imagine why Eren felt so hatefully towards her when he saw the two of them conversing.

But it still didn't make sense because she had never done anything personally wrong to Eren; or to anybody. She couldn't be mean to be. It was near impossible. She had no fighting bone in her body.

Maybe that was why Eren couldn't stand her. Because she never put up a fight. Maybe he thought that she was useless and should never had joined the military. 

(F/N) let out a long, slow sigh as she straightened back up, tilting her head back as she did so to look up at the star littered sky. She wished she was star; to be far away and unafraid to shine like no other.

She remained standing there, just staring off into space (literally) for another hour and a half before she finally decided to get to bed. It was getting late, and she didn't fancy another screaming in the face from Shadis tomorrow morning when her uniform was slightly wrinkled because she had slept in late and rushed to put it on because she had stayed out late the night before.

When she got to the girls' dorm, all the candles were blown out, leaving the building in pitch blackness. Just like every night. 

(F/N) sighed again, her palm automatically going to the wall and trailing along it so not to trip and get hurt. She had become so accustomed to this that it was easy to navigate like this back to the room she shared with three others.

She was about halfway down the hall when the sounds of footsteps made her freeze. She squinted in the dark to try and make out any features. She was just barely able to make out the raven black hair and red scarf when they spoke. 

"What are you doing out so late?"

"Mikasa?" (F/N) whispered, still trying to get a good look at her face for confirmation. There was a shuffling sound as the girl lifted her hand to bring the scarf up over her mouth, assuring (F/N) completely that that was exactly who had approached her. 

"I was on my way to look for you. It's really late," Mikasa explained quietly. She was going to go look for her?

This surprised (F/N), but she didn't fight it when Mikasa gently tugged on her wrist to get her moving towards their room.